Our Daily Bread- The Spirit of the Age

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2012
      READ: Ephesians 2:1-10

      You He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once
      walked according to the course of this world. —Ephesians 2:1-2

      Every age has its own thoughts, ideas, and values that influence the culture, the “spirit of the age.” It is the kind of growing consensus that
      morally lulls us to sleep, gradually causing us to accept society’s
      latest values.
      The apostle Paul called this corrupting atmosphere the “course of this
      world.” Describing the lives of the believers at Ephesus before they
      encountered Christ, he said that they were “dead in trespasses and sins” and “walked according to the course of this world” (Eph. 2:1-2). This
      is the world’s peer pressure—a satanically inspired system of values and ideas that cultivates a lifestyle that is independent of God.
      Jesus intends for us to live in the world (John 17:15), so worldly influence
      is nearly impossible to escape. But He’s given us His Word to so
      permeate our thinking that we don’t have to become conformed to the
      world’s values (Rom. 12:1-2). Instead, God helps us walk in His light
      (Eph. 5:8), in the Spirit (Gal. 5:25), in love (Eph. 5:2), in truth (3
      John 4), and in Christ (Col. 2:6).
      As we walk in God’s power and spend time in His Word, He gives us the
      strength to live according to kingdom values and not the spirit of the
      age. —Dennis Fisher
      Father, You have made us alive in Christ and now we
      have a new kind of thinking that differs from the world.
      Teach us Your kingdom’s values that we might
      learn to walk in love. Amen.
      Although Christians live in this world, their allegiance is to heaven.