Our Daily Bread- Do We Matter To God

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2012
      READ: Isaiah 49:8-18

      In an acceptable time I have heard You, and in the day of salvation I have helped You. —Isaiah 49:8

      When I consider Your heavens,” wrote the psalmist, “what is man that You are mindful of him?” (Ps. 8:3-4). The Old Testament circles around this
      question. Toiling in Egypt, the Hebrew slaves could hardly believe
      Moses’ assurances that God would concern Himself with them. The writer
      of Ecclesiastes phrased the question more cynically: Does anything matter?
      I was entertaining that same doubt myself when I received an invitation
      to address a conference on the theme: “I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands” (Isa. 49:16).
      God made this stirring declaration to people suffering through a low point
      in their history as Isaiah prophesies that they would be taken away
      captive to Babylon. Hearing this, the people lamented, “The Lord has forsaken me, and . . . forgotten me” (Isa. 49:14). To this
      lamentation God gave a series of promises—the Servant Songs (Isa.
      42–53)—in which He sets the stage of hope for deliverance from hostile
      enemies. He foretells of the incarnation and sacrificial death of the
      Servant.
      Do we matter to God? Christmas memorializes God’s answer: “Behold, the
      virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel”
      (7:14). —Philip Yancey
      Love brought Him down from the glory,
      Love made Him come from the sky;
      Love in His heart for the sinner
      Led Him to suffer and die. —Anon.
      The fact of Jesus’ coming is the final and unanswerable proof that God cares. — Barclay