Our Daily Bread- Our Prayer: God's Will

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2012
      READ: 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

      I pleaded with the Lord three times that [a thorn in the flesh] might depart from me. —2 Corinthians 12:8

      The handwritten prayer request was heartbreaking in its seeming
      impossibility: “Please pray—I have multiple sclerosis, weak muscles,
      trouble swallowing, increased pain, diminishing sight.” The woman’s body was breaking down, and I could sense despair in her plea for
      intercession.
      But then came the hope—the strength that trumps the physical damage and
      degradation: “I know our blessed Savior is in full control. His will is
      of utmost importance to me.”
      This person may have needed my prayers, but I needed something she had:
      unabated confidence in God. She seemed to present a perfect portrait of
      the truth God taught Paul when he asked for relief from his
      difficulty—what he called his “thorn in the flesh” (2 Cor. 12:7). His
      quest for relief turned out to be not just a seeming impossibility; his
      request was turned down flat by his heavenly Father. Paul’s continual
      struggle, which was clearly God’s will, was a valuable lesson: Through
      his weakness, God’s grace could be displayed and God’s strength was
      “made perfect” (v.9).
      As we pour out our hearts to God, let’s be even more concerned with
      seeking His will than we are with receiving the answer we want. That’s
      where the grace and the strength come from. —Dave Branon
      Dear heavenly Father, I bring to You my petitions,
      but I give to You my heart. While I plead for You to
      answer my prayers, I also submit to Your will so that
      my heart may be strengthened and Your work be done.
      We pray not to obtain our will in heaven, but to effect God’s will on earth.