Isaac the Syrian

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
      If you believe that God makes provisions for you, why be anxious and concerned
      about temporal affairs and the needs of your flesh? But if you do not believe
      that God makes provision for you, and for this reason you take pains to provide
      for your need separately from Him, then you are of all men most miserable. Why
      even be alive or go living in such a case? ‘Cast thy care upon the Lord, and He
      will nourish thee,’ and you shall never be dismayed at any terror that overtakes
      you.

      Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, Homily 5
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14020988/ascetical-homilies-of-st-isaac-the
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 19, 2012
        It is not always in our power to oppose the thoughts fighting against us so as
        to stop them, but we often receive wounds that do not heal for quite some
        time... [Arguing with the demons] allows them to arm themselves against you;
        they will be able to wound you beyond what your wisdom and feeling will set
        against them. But even if you were to vanquish them, the filth of the thoughts
        would sully your contemplation, and you would still smell their foul odor for
        quite some time.

        Isaac the Syrian, Ascetical Homilies, as cited in Therapy of Spiritual Illnesses
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/15923112/therapy-of-spiritual-illnesses-3-volume-box?keywords=therapy