Darkness is not Dark to Thee

  • Reji
    Message 1 of 1502 , May 24, 2003
      Darkness is not Dark to Thee

      From the Hebrew Bible:

      Even the darkness is not dark to Thee,
      for the night is bright as the day;
      for darkness is as Light with Thee.

      -- Psalm 139: 12

      From the Nag Hammadi Library of Egypt:

      If One Does Not Stand In The Darkness

      If one does not stand in the darkness,
      one will not be able to see the Light.

      -- Jesus, Dialogue of the Savior,
      from Saying 67, The Unknown Sayings
      of Jesus, Marvin Meyer, Harper San Francisco

      Marguerite Porete:

      No one can see the divine things as long as he mixes himself or
      mingles with temporal things, that is anything less than God.

      God gives Himself through the ardor of Light into the heart of a
      creature [Soul].

      When such a Sun is in the Soul, and such rays and such dazzling
      brightness, the body is then no longer feeble and the Soul is no
      longer fearful.

      The Divine Goodness pours out from [His] bosom one rapturous overflow
      of the movement of Divine Light. Such movement of Divine Light, which
      is poured into the Soul by light, shows to the will of the Soul the
      rightness of what is and the understanding of what is not in order to
      move the will of the soul from the place where it now is, where it
      ought not to be, in order to dissolve it where it is not, whence it
      comes, and where it ought to remain.

      -- Marguerite Porete, The Mirror of Simple Souls

      NOTE: THE MIRROR OF SIMPLE SOULS by Marguerite Porete

      This is a Christian mystical work condemned by the French Inquisition
      as being heretical. The author of the book, Marguerite Porete, was
      asked to recant. When she refused to respond to her inquisitors, she
      was condemned to death. On 1 June 1310 she was burned at the stake in
      Paris. The full title of her book was The mirror of simple
      annihilated souls and those who only remain in will and desire of
      love.

      THE MIRROR OF SIMPLE SOULS by Marguerite Porete. Translator and
      commentator: Ellen L. Babinsky. ISBN 0-8091-3427-6

      [Paulist Press also publishes: Marguerite Porete - The Mirror of
      Simple Souls, a volume in their Classics of Western Spirituality
      Series.]
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 1502 of 1502 , Oct 1, 2004
        Dear members