Our Daily Bread- When Fear Creeps in

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2012
      READ: Psalm 56

      Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in [God]. —Psalm 56:3

      When my daughter exclaimed, “Mommy, a bug!” I looked where she was pointing
      and saw the largest spider I have ever encountered outside of a pet
      shop. Both the spider and I knew that he would not be allowed to stay in our house. And yet, as I faced him, I found I could not take one step
      closer to end the standoff. My pulse quickened. I swallowed and gave
      myself a pep-talk. Still, fear kept me frozen in place.
      Fear is powerful; it can override logical thinking and produce irrational
      behavior. Thankfully, Christians don’t have to let fear of
      anything—people, situations, or even spiders—rule our actions. We can
      declare, “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in [God]” (Ps. 56:3).
      Taking this stand against fear is consistent with the Bible’s instruction to “trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding” (Prov.
      3:5). Our own understanding may lead us to overestimate the object of
      our fear and underestimate God’s power. When we are afraid, we can
      depend on God’s understanding (Isa. 40:28) and trust in His love for us
      that “casts out fear” (1 John 4:18). The next time fear creeps into your life, don’t panic. God can be trusted in the darkness. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
      Into His hands I lay the fears that haunt me,
      The dread of future ills that may befall;
      Into His hands I lay the doubts that taunt me,
      And rest securely, trusting Him for all. —Christiansen
      Trusting God’s faithfulness dispels our fearfulness.