John Chrysostom

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 26, 2012
      Let everything take second place to our care of our children, our bringing them
      up to the discipline and instruction of the Lord. If from the beginning we
      teach them to love true wisdom, they will have great wealth and glory than
      riches can provide. If a child learns a trade, or is highly educated for a
      lucrative profession, all this is nothing compared to the art of detachment
      from riches; if you want to make your child rich, teach him this. He is truly
      rich who does not desire great possessions, or surround himself with wealth,
      but who requires nothing…Don’t think that only monks need to learn the Bible;
      Children about to go our into the world stand in greater need of Scriptural
      knowledge.

      John Chrysostom, Homilies on Ephesians, Homily 21
      On Marriage and Family Life
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2332888/on-marriage-and-family-life-john-chrysostom
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 12, 2012
        The priest is standing before the Holy Gate and exclaims: ‘Let us attend ...’,
        many times in fact. However, this entreaty is the voice of the Church but most
        people do not pay attention to it...‘Let us attend...’, ‘let us attend...’, and
        no one attends.

        Many say: We will hear the same things again... again and again.

        Others again say: We do not understand anything they say...
        How dare you say that whatever it is they read it is always the same, for you
        know neither the names of the Prophets, nor the names of the Apostles, nor the
        names of the Evangelists?

        And again, how do you dare say that you do not understand
        the sacred texts of the Readings during the Diving Liturgy,
        when you do not study them at home at all? . . .

        In order for us not to be ‘judged’, let us attend! Let us attend! Let us be
        attentive!
        ~ St. John Chrysostom

        Protopresbyter Stephanos K Anagnostopoulos, Experiences During the Divine
        Liturgy
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/9775835/experiences-during-the-divine-liturgy
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
          Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

          Adorn your face, therefore, with modesty, piety, almsgiving, benevolence, love,
          kindliness towards your husband, reasonableness, mildness, and forbearance.
          These are the pigments of virtue; by these you draw not men but angels to you as
          your lovers; for these you have God Himself to praise you. When God shall
          approve of you, He will win over your husband to you in every way; for if wisdom
          illumines the face of man, much more does virtue make the face of a woman shine
          forth.

          John Chrysostom, Baptismal Instructions, The True Adornment of Women
          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2358746/baptismal-instruction-john-chrysostom