Our Daily Bread- God's Description

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2012
      READ: Exodus 34:1-8

      The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious. —Exodus 34:6

      The prayers of young children show us what they think of God. Here are two I read recently:
      “Dear God, what does it mean that You are a ‘jealous’ God? I thought You had everything.”
      “I didn’t think orange went with purple until I saw the sunset You made on Tuesday. That was cool.”
      These children are right to think of God as the owner and creator of
      everything, the One who can paint beautiful sunsets. But how does God
      describe Himself?
      Moses needed an answer to that question when he was about to lead the
      Israelites into the wilderness. He wanted to be assured of God’s
      presence and leading, so he asked Him to reveal Himself (Ex. 33:13,18).
      In response, God came down in a cloud and said: “The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness
      and truth, . . . by no means clearing the guilty” (34:5-7). He is good;
      He is just.
      We too can know this God and be assured of His presence. He has revealed
      Himself in His creation and in His Word. As we ask Him to make Himself
      known to us, we’ll learn that He is even more than the owner and creator of everything! —Anne Cetas
      Sing praise to God who reigns above,
      The God of all creation,
      The God of power, the God of love,
      The God of our salvation. —Schutz
      In a world of superlatives, God is the greatest.