Our Daily Bread- Faithful Unto Death

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2012
      READ: Revelation 2:8-11

      Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. . . . Be
      faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life. —Revelation 2:10

      The Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool, England, has a painting of a Roman
      soldier faithfully standing guard in ancient Pompeii. The painting was
      inspired by an archaeological discovery in Pompeii of an ashen-encased
      Roman soldier in full military gear. The volcanic eruption of Mount
      Vesuvius in AD 79 covered that city in lava, capturing the people and
      their culture in a moment of time. The painting Faithful Unto Death is a testimony to the sentinel’s continuing vigil even as his world was being engulfed in fiery death.
      The church at Smyrna—a first-century congregation that suffered persecution for Christ—was challenged to be faithful unto death. Their spiritual
      commitment had not gone unnoticed by the Master (Rev. 2:9). And for the
      suffering that was to come, Jesus offered this encouragement: “Do not
      fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the
      devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested . . . . Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life”
      (v.10).
      The Lord understands what we are going through now and what we will face in the future. Though there’s suffering in this world, He promises eternal life to His children. In His strength we can be faithful unto death
      (Phil. 4:12-13). —Bill Crowder
      Though the stress and strain of life
      My thread of faith may break,
      The cable of God’s faithfulness
      No storm can ever shake. —Anon.
      Our faith may be tested so that we may trust His faithfulness.