Our Daily Bread- In the Face of Fear

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2012
      READ: Matthew 14:22-33

      But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.” —Matthew 14:27

      I’ll never forget my childhood fear that the clothes thrown on my chair
      would turn into a shadowy dragon-like figure after my bedroom lights
      were turned off. My early experience of fear-driven insomnia reminds me
      that when trouble arrives on the doorstep of life, fear is not our
      friend. It disables us from moving forward and causes us to shrink from
      doing what is right—unless we have our eyes fixed on Jesus.
      When the disciples faced the raging seas that were threatening to sweep them overboard, Jesus, walking on the water, assured them, “It is I; do not
      be afraid” (Matt. 14:27). And to His followers who were fearfully locked away in a room after His crucifixion, Jesus appeared and asked, “Why
      are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts?” (Luke 24:38). Recognizing the inevitability of trials, He said, “In the world you
      will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world”
      (John 16:33). The point is clear. Trusting in His presence and power is
      the antidote to fear.
      As the familiar hymn says, “Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His
      wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the
      light of His glory and grace.” We can rest peacefully in the knowledge
      that God is with us. —Joe Stowell
      Lord, in our weak and fearful moments, remind
      us that Your love for us guarantees Your
      presence with us and Your power against
      our fears. Teach us to trust in You.
      Trust the presence and power of Jesus in the midst of life’s storms.