Our Daily Bread- The Legacy

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2012
      READ: Colossians 3:8-17

      Holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, long-suffering. —Colossians 3:12

      One day my wife called me at work and said, “Something’s going on next
      door. Lots of cars are there.” Because of my neighbor’s occupation, I
      feared the worst, and soon those fears were realized. Our neighbor,
      policeman Trevor Slot, had just been killed in the line of duty, trying
      to stop the escape of two bank robbers. Our community was stunned.
      Trevor had no time to prepare for his death. Yet he was ready. His faith in
      Christ was secure, and his reputation as a remarkable man was intact. At his funeral, attended by hundreds of fellow officers, his colleague
      Detective Brandyn Heugel said, “He was a dedicated police officer, but
      first and foremost he was a loving husband to Kim and a doting father to Kaitlyn and Abbie.” Indeed the theme of Trevor’s tributes all centered
      on his great personality and his love and care for his family.
      Trevor’s life exemplified the words of Colossians 3:12-13, “Put on tender
      mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering, bearing with one
      another, and forgiving one another.” Those traits leave an inspiring
      legacy.
      We don’t know when God will call us home, but we do know this: Each day is an opportunity to leave a testimony worthy of our faith. —Dave Branon
      Oh, may all who come behind us find us faithful;
      May the fire of our devotion light their way;
      May the footprints that we leave lead them to believe,
      And the lives we live inspire them to obey. —Mohr
      Each day we add to our legacy—good or bad.