“Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son”

  • Shibu Podiyan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2012
      “Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son”

      Gen. 22:9-12: “Then they came to the place of which God had told him. And Abraham built an altar there and placed the wood in order; and he bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, upon the wood. And Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.
      But the Angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, ‘Abraham, Abraham!’ So he said, ‘Here I am.’ And He said, ‘Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”’

      May this be my moment, Lord: To offer on the altar my nearest, dearest, and best - with this faith: That you are able to raise from the dead (Heb. 11:17-19), and fulfill what you have promised. Lord, let me stand before you with Abraham’s faith in my heart, and my will identified with yours. May I stand on the ground of faith and obedience as Abraham stood as he “stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.” Let me be willing to be led to the place of sacrifice (“not my will”),Lord, to the altar (Christ), be bound to your will, be offered on the altar, and be identified with Christ’s death on the cross in obeying you. May this lowly body of mine, offered on the altar, do your will (Rom. 12:1-2), in the power of Christ’s resurrection, Rom.6: 4-5. Amen.

      “the place of which God had told him” – God leads us to the specific place of sacrifice.

      “Abraham built an altar” – Christ is our altar, Heb. 13: 10-12. We come to the Crucified One.

      “he bound Isaac his son” – We bind ourselves to God’s call to offer our bodies a living sacrifice, Rom. 12:1-2; we bind ourselves to obedience as Christ did.

      “and laid him on the altar” – We identify ourselves with Christ’s obedience, praying as He prayed, “I have come to do Your will, O God,” Heb. 10:9; thus by faith we lay ourselves on the altar that Christ is.

      “took the knife to slay his son” - This is the ministry of the priest: To slay the sacrifice. We as priests of God, submit willingly to His will as Christ offered Himself on the cross praying, “Not My will, but Yours, be done.” We offer our bodies (our whole being: desires; will) as sacrifice, Rom. 12:1-2. When we come to this point of offering of ourselves and our dearest, we are on the ground of faith for resurrection (Heb.11: 17-19), and we may live by the life of Christ – in the newness of life, Rom.6: 4-5. Grant me such faith, O God.

      Quote: “A sacrifice of self to God’s will made half-way, or even nine-tenths, is a grinding, cruel experience. When it is made the whole way, with the altar built and the self laid upon the altar, God always comes with love and joy that the hardship of the sacrifice sinks out of sight.” Messages for the Morning Watch, Springs in the Valley.

      Thankful for your prayers,
      Bro.Shibu Luke Podiyam
      Washington D.C