Our Daily Bread- The Romance

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2012
      READ: Ruth 3:1-11

      “There is a [grandson] born to Naomi.” And they called his name Obed. He is the father of Jesse, the father of David. —Ruth 4:17

      Widows in biblical times often faced a life of poverty. That’s the situation
      Ruth and her mother-in-law, Naomi, were in after each woman lost her
      husband. But God had a plan to provide security for them while involving Ruth as an integral part of a much bigger plan.
      Boaz, a wealthy landowner, knew of and admired Ruth (Ruth 2:5-12), but he was surprised when he awoke one night to see her lying at his feet (3:8).
      She asked him to “spread the corner” of his garment over her to indicate that as a close relative he was willing to be her “kinsman-redeemer”
      (v.9 NIV). This was more than a request for protection; she was
      requesting marriage. Boaz agreed to marry her (vv.11-13; 4:13).
      Not exactly your typical romantic tale. But Ruth’s choice to follow Naomi’s instructions (3:3-6) set up a series of events that placed her in God’s plan of redemption! From Ruth’s marriage to Boaz came a son (Obed), the eventual grandfather of King David (4:17). Generations later, Joseph
      was born to the family, and he became the “legal father” of Mary’s child (Matt. 1:16-17; Luke 2:4-5)—our Kinsman-Redeemer, Jesus.
      Ruth trusted God and followed Naomi’s instructions even though the ending
      was uncertain. We too can count on God to provide for us when life is
      unsure. —Cindy Hess Kasper
      Lord, give us humility and sensitivity to listen
      to advice from loved ones who know You well.
      Show us the right thing to do in our uncertain
      times and to trust You for the results. Amen.
      Fear hinders faith, but trust kindles confidence.