Our Daily Bread- Beyond Just and Fair

  • Kuriakose Corepiscopa Moolayil
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2012
      READ: Colossians 3:18 - 4:1

      Masters, give your bondservants what is just and fair, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven. Colossians 4:1

      Working conditions in England during the 19th century were abysmal. Men, women, and children labored in dangerous factories during the day and went
      home to dirty tenement slums at night. Many of the factory owners cared
      little for the well-being of their employees.
      But during that time, the owners of the Cadbury chocolate company were
      different. Quakers by conviction and business entrepreneurs by
      giftedness, they focused on improving the working conditions of their
      200 workers. The Cadburys built a state-of-the-art factory with heated
      dressing rooms, a kitchen, and recreational areas. And to care for the
      employees spiritual needs, the workday started with Bible study.
      Colossians 4:1 tells us: Masters, give your bondservants what is just and fair,
      knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.� Certainly the Cadburys
      sought to give their employees what was just and fair. But their
      heavenly orientation motivated them to go a step further to meet
      physical and spiritual needs.
      Though we may not own a company, we do have regular contact with a variety of
      people. As believers, it is important to be ethical in our dealings. We
      can also, with God's enablement, care about others well-being through
      prayer, encouragement, and the meeting of physical needs (Gal. 6:10).
      Dennis Fisher
      Lord, thank You for loving us and meeting our needs.
      Often You bring people into our lives who need Your
      love and care. Give us wisdom to creatively reach
      out a helping hand that we might share Your kindness.
      God blesses us so that we can bless others.