Maximus the Confessor

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2012
      It is necessary that the one who seeks after God in a religious way never hold fast to the letter lest he mistakenly understand things said about God for God himself. In this case we unwisely are satisfied with the words of Scripture in place of the Word, and the Word slips out of the mind while we thought by holding on to his garments we could possess the incorporeal Word.

      Maximus the Confessor
      From: Maximus Confessor: Selected Writings
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3018524/maximus-confessor-selected-writings
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
        He who busies himself with the sins of others, or judges his brother on
        suspicion, has not yet even begun to repent or to examine himself so as to
        discover his own sins, which are truly heavier than a great lump of lead; nor
        does he know why a man becomes heavyhearted when he loves vanity and chases
        after falsehood (cf. Ps. 4:2). That is why, like a fool who walks in darkness,
        he no longer attends to his own sins but lets his imagination dwell on the sins
        of others, whether these sins are real or merely the products of his own
        suspicious mind.

        Maximus the Confessor, Philokalia Vol 2