Re: Paintings/Icons in the Syriac Tradition

  • Dr. Leena Mathew
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
      Dear Mr. James,

      ALSO ARE WE ALLOWED TO USE THE PAINTINGS OF CHRIST OR SAINTS
      BEHIND THE ALTAR? SOME CHURCHES USE SAINTS, SOME USE THE RESURRECTED CHRIST, SOME USE ONLY A CROSS.
      We prefer to keep only cross in the Alter. As Mr. Mathew G.M. mentioned the church used icons to teach the people and it served the
      purpose in those conditions mentioned.

      On Sundays and Holy festivals we meditate the different mysteries of Jesus’ incarnation in the Holy Qurbana. On Christmas we meditate
      the Infant Jesus in the manger. Good Friday we meditate on crucified Christ. Easter Sunday we meditate resurrected Christ. Pesaha, Hosanna all have different mysteries. In the Holy Qurbana, we meditate Jesus birth to the second coming. Our full concentration should be on Jesus Holy Blood and Holy Flesh in the Holy Qurbana. We must visualize all the mysteries of Jesus incarnation on the Holy Cross which is kept in the middle of the Alter.

      LASTLY, THE CATHOLIC CHURCH PORTRAYS JESUS ON THE CROSS.IS THE USE OF THAT PAINTING FORBIDDEN IN THE ORTHODOX TRADITION, AS THE RESURRECTED CHRIST IS THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE.
      Jesus died, was buried and resurrected from the dead. If Jesus Christ wasn't resurrected, He wouldn't have conquered death caused by the sin. So we emphasize the resurrection.

      With prayers,
      Leena