Re: Paintings/Icons in the Syriac Tradition

  • Mike Wingert
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2012
      Hi James,

      Whomever told you that "we aren't supposed to put paintings/icons within the Church building" is giving you inaccurate information.

      When we discuss iconology, we're discussing a theological topic, and that may be why some are apprehensive when the discussion comes up. There is a method in which icons are used in the buildings of the Church. There is a Middle Eastern SOC near me which is entirely clueless about the use of icons in the Church-building and has several paintings that are haphazardly placed throughout the interior. That is equally as useless as the neo-iconoclastic answer you were told.

      Historically, the Syriac tradition is minimalistic as far as iconography is concerned. We did not have an iconoclastic controversy in the way the imperial Roman communion did, so we did not have a reaction against that which resulted in what you can see in Greek or Russian places of worship. Part of the reason for the minimalism is the practicality of matter. The Syriac tradition did not live under the patronage of Orthodox kings the way other traditions did to support a development of this tradition. Most of our icons can be found in manuscripts or tapestries. Other monasteries testify to a tradition of iconology.

      The Syriac tradition used to employ an icon of the Virgin Mary and Christ Child above the altar. This icon is to keep us mindful of the incarnation of the Word and the presence of God among us (which we experience through our liturgy). The question to ask with other icons and the altar is, "to what are we called to be mindful?"

      Icons of the crucifixion are not forbidden, but they have their place. Many of our processional crosses contain an icon or relief of the crucified Christ. It is true that we focus on the resurrected Christ, but that doesn't mean we aren't mindful of His passion.

      These are good questions you asked and I am glad you brought the topic up for public consumption.

      Pray for me,

      Mike Wingert
      0902
      St. Cyril of Alexandria Orthodox Christian Society
      http://www.orthodoxtheology.org/

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, James wrote:

      > Dearly Beloved SOCM members,
      >
      > Can one of the learned scholars of the Church clarify the use of Icons/paintings within the sanctuary in the Syriac Tradition.

    • Dr. Leena Mathew
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
        Dear Mr. James,

        ALSO ARE WE ALLOWED TO USE THE PAINTINGS OF CHRIST OR SAINTS
        BEHIND THE ALTAR? SOME CHURCHES USE SAINTS, SOME USE THE RESURRECTED CHRIST, SOME USE ONLY A CROSS.
        We prefer to keep only cross in the Alter. As Mr. Mathew G.M. mentioned the church used icons to teach the people and it served the
        purpose in those conditions mentioned.

        On Sundays and Holy festivals we meditate the different mysteries of Jesus’ incarnation in the Holy Qurbana. On Christmas we meditate
        the Infant Jesus in the manger. Good Friday we meditate on crucified Christ. Easter Sunday we meditate resurrected Christ. Pesaha, Hosanna all have different mysteries. In the Holy Qurbana, we meditate Jesus birth to the second coming. Our full concentration should be on Jesus Holy Blood and Holy Flesh in the Holy Qurbana. We must visualize all the mysteries of Jesus incarnation on the Holy Cross which is kept in the middle of the Alter.

        LASTLY, THE CATHOLIC CHURCH PORTRAYS JESUS ON THE CROSS.IS THE USE OF THAT PAINTING FORBIDDEN IN THE ORTHODOX TRADITION, AS THE RESURRECTED CHRIST IS THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE.
        Jesus died, was buried and resurrected from the dead. If Jesus Christ wasn't resurrected, He wouldn't have conquered death caused by the sin. So we emphasize the resurrection.

        With prayers,
        Leena