Re: Facts about the establishment of Catholicate of east

  • Dr. Leena Mathew
    Message 1 of 40 , Oct 24, 2012
      Mr.Zach George Arapura,

      OF COURSE POLICIES DO CHANGE BUT I AM NOT AWARE OF ANY
      CHANGE IN THE NATURE OF SERAMPORE COLLEGE, IT IS STILL RUN BY PROTESTANTS.

      Do you mean to say that there won't be any change in policies of an institute as long as it is run by the same sect of people? But I
      do not believe so.
       SO, I ASSUME THE CHANGE OF POLICY MIGHT HAVE COME FROM OUR PART. AND THAT IS WHY I QUERIED FOR THE REASONS FOR OUR APPARENT CHANGE OF STANCE. SURELY THERE MUST BE SOME REASONS FOR IT.

      I do not want to assume anything in this matter. At present
      I do not have any information about it. But definitely I will contact the concerned authorities and find it out.
      WOULD YOU ALSO HAVE THE RESPONSE OF WHAT BASELIOS AUGEN I
      REGARDING THE AFFILIATION ISSUE?
      The answer for this is in the same post. Message #24096
      IS IT THE USUAL PROCEDURE TO TAKE ADMINISTRATIVE DECISIONS
      REGARDING THE SEMINARY AT THE SYNOD AND MALANKARA ASSOCIATION? SO THE
      CATHOLICOSE OR THE MAPHRIAN CAN'T TAKE ANY INDEPENDENT DECISIONS REGARDING POLICY, RIGHT?
      Yes.
      SO I GUESS THE REASONS FOR THE APPARENT CHANGE OF OUR POLICY
      REGARDING AFFILIATION CAN BE FOUND IN ONE OF THE SYNOD MINUTES.
      Since you have written so, I assume the change of policy
      might have come from OUR part�, you yourself can check with the synod minutes.
      I THINK THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IDEAL IF SOC IN INDIA COULD
      START THE INITIATIVE TOWARDS FOUNDING OF A UNIVERSITY WITH A PRIMARILY SYRIAC ORTHODOX ETHOS.
      Who told you that they are not planning it? After the present heresy and split we grew from nothing to the present. We cannot do everything together. We can proudly say we are achieving the goals one by one.

      I do not want to list all the achievements here which all of us (Universal Syriac Orthodox members) are aware of.
      =============================
      IMHO IT SHOULD BE GIVEN PRIORITY THAN BUILDING OTHER INSTITUTIONS, SAY A MEDICAL COLLEGE.
      Every person can have their humble opinion. Every person can have their priorities too. But when it comes to the decision making of church matters, the Holy Synod must pass it with two third majorities.
      =======================================
      P.S. ARE YOU RELATED TO MY GRANDFATHER DR.T.V. JACOB, CHIEF
      ENGINEER KWA (RETD.)?
      I do not give personal information to a stranger.

      With Prayers
      Leena.
    • Zach George Arapura
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 3, 2012
        Dr.Leena and others interested,

        It is not my job to point out your non sequiturs but I wonder how you inferred that I believe "that there won't be any change in policies of an institute as long as it is run by the same sect of people" because I would have thought that it is emphatically clear from my sentence you quoted that "policies do change". What I was merely pointing out was that the nature of the University i.e., ethos remained Protestant. And from your earlier messages I gather that you believe MSOT seminary is "better off being on its own". While I don't entirely agree with that, I believe your opinion stems from the concern over the Protestant nature of University. In the `Kalpana' you quoted in one of your previous messages, HH the Patriarch asked for clarification to Baselios Augen I for "affiliating the Seminary to the Serampore University of Culcutta[sic], which is well known as a protestant university". To me it looks like His Holiness was concerned over the Protestant nature of the University to which a Syriac Orthodox Seminary is affiliated to. And as far as I know their ethos haven't changed.

        I thank you for taking the trouble to contact the proper authorities regarding the syllabus and affiliation. Shri Joshy Pauls clarification was similar. Though what I learnt from my own enquiry was that before the BD course commences a foundation course on our faith, liturgy and addenda is taught to the priests-in-training of our church and after completing that they advance to the regular 4 year BD program with a University prescribed syllabus with no dilutions. So, unless you have categorized everything that is being taught at the MSOT seminary as syllabus my information is inaccurate.

        The Orthodox seminary was affiliated in 1964 and 38 years have passed since His Holiness asked for clarifications in 1974. I do understand that we were pre occupied with the schism for many years. Surely it is time to think, at least, of a Theological University with Orthodox ethos as a long term goal. You asked, "Who told you that they are not planning it?" Well, do you know if there is any long-term vision of that sort? Usually it has been our practice to announce things we plan to do with a lot of hue and cry and I didn't hear about this one. Maybe I wasn't paying attention when it was being announced. I am well aware of our "achievements" as you put it and I am not criticizing any of it rather I congratulate our HB Thomas I, Catholicose of India, and all the associated people on their steadfastness to bring glory to our Church. But I do hope it didn't come at the cost of our spiritual growth.

        Theological studies in India are not easy and the Church has a certain responsibility to make it better. From what I understand MSOT seminary doesn't offer Masters or Doctoral courses. Maybe we can start from there. Maybe my opinion to put Theological University on a higher priority as one of our Church's goals is a minority one and, as you put it, is not one which is passed by the Holy Synod with "two third majorities". But even in a top-down structure like ours I believe the voice of an ordinary faithful do matter and airing opinions on this forum gives me an opportunity to engage in meaningful opinion building process.

        Lastly on a personal note, my query whether you were related to me was to make us not "strangers". Though a simple yes or no might have sufficed, I do understand your reservations for giving out personal information even though I gave out my personal information. But being 22 and a student (oops! I did it again: P) makes me relax over my own privacy concerns.

        Hope I've been polite, courteous and clear.

        Zach George Arapura
        Member# 3083