our Daily Bread- Titanic 11

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2012
      READ: Jeremiah 17:5-10

      Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart departs from the Lord. —Jeremiah 17:5
      Mark Wilkinson purchased a 16-foot boat for fishing and recreation.
      Apparently he was not superstitious, because he christened his boat Titanic II after the ill-fated luxury ship that hit an iceberg and sank in 1912. Titanic II’s maiden voyage out of a harbor in Dorset, England, went well. But when
      Wilkinson headed back, the boat started taking on water. Soon he was
      clinging to a rail waiting for rescue. Wilkinson reportedly said, “It’s
      all a bit embarrassing, and I got pretty fed up with people asking me if I had hit an iceberg.” This was followed by an eyewitness who said, “It wasn’t a very big boat—I think an ice cube could have sunk it!”
      The story of Titanic II is quite ironic. But it also makes me think of the original Titanic and the danger of misplaced trust. The builders of that ocean liner
      were absolutely confident that their ship was unsinkable. But how wrong
      they were! Jeremiah reminds us: “Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart departs from the Lord” (Jer. 17:5).
      All of us are tempted to seek security in people or things. How often we
      need to be reminded to forsake these false confidences and turn back to
      God. Are you putting your trust in something other than Him? —Dennis
      Fisher
      When we put our trust in You, Lord,
      We’ll be like a tree that’s growing
      Beside waters that are flowing,
      Bearing fruit and standing strong. —Sper
      Those who put their trust in God will never be disappointed.