Re: Facts about the establishment of Catholicate of east

  • Dr. Leena Mathew
    Message 1 of 40 , Oct 23 9:22 PM
      Dear Mr. Mathew G.M.,

      I disagree with you. We are part and parcel of the Universal Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch. It is not just a special relationship with the See of Antioch. We believe in her true faith, history and canon. History is important for church. Jesus incarnation is a history. To prove that it is a history, we say in our creed that Jesus crucifixion happened in the days of Pontius Pilate. Our forefathers gave their lives to sustain the true faith and to remove all the heresy. Our forefathers came to India travelling through deserts, forests and sea to keep us in true faith. Some died in India and some of them lost their life too in this effort. They did this because they knew that they are account able for the Indian people whom Jesus has given
      them to take care of. Now all their efforts are history. That history is important. That is why we sing the following song.

      Thirusutharai varuvan namme
      Avarullappol´┐Ż padupicha thathanmare
      Orkenam prarthana qurbanakalil nam.

      What would have been our faith today without them? We wouldn't have been "Thirusuthar".

      Then comes canon. No institution can work without a law. Everything will go wrong without a proper law. God gave laws to Moses. So it
      was important from the beginning of the Old Testament.

      With Prayers,
    • Zach George Arapura
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 3, 2012
        Dr.Leena and others interested,

        It is not my job to point out your non sequiturs but I wonder how you inferred that I believe "that there won't be any change in policies of an institute as long as it is run by the same sect of people" because I would have thought that it is emphatically clear from my sentence you quoted that "policies do change". What I was merely pointing out was that the nature of the University i.e., ethos remained Protestant. And from your earlier messages I gather that you believe MSOT seminary is "better off being on its own". While I don't entirely agree with that, I believe your opinion stems from the concern over the Protestant nature of University. In the `Kalpana' you quoted in one of your previous messages, HH the Patriarch asked for clarification to Baselios Augen I for "affiliating the Seminary to the Serampore University of Culcutta[sic], which is well known as a protestant university". To me it looks like His Holiness was concerned over the Protestant nature of the University to which a Syriac Orthodox Seminary is affiliated to. And as far as I know their ethos haven't changed.

        I thank you for taking the trouble to contact the proper authorities regarding the syllabus and affiliation. Shri Joshy Pauls clarification was similar. Though what I learnt from my own enquiry was that before the BD course commences a foundation course on our faith, liturgy and addenda is taught to the priests-in-training of our church and after completing that they advance to the regular 4 year BD program with a University prescribed syllabus with no dilutions. So, unless you have categorized everything that is being taught at the MSOT seminary as syllabus my information is inaccurate.

        The Orthodox seminary was affiliated in 1964 and 38 years have passed since His Holiness asked for clarifications in 1974. I do understand that we were pre occupied with the schism for many years. Surely it is time to think, at least, of a Theological University with Orthodox ethos as a long term goal. You asked, "Who told you that they are not planning it?" Well, do you know if there is any long-term vision of that sort? Usually it has been our practice to announce things we plan to do with a lot of hue and cry and I didn't hear about this one. Maybe I wasn't paying attention when it was being announced. I am well aware of our "achievements" as you put it and I am not criticizing any of it rather I congratulate our HB Thomas I, Catholicose of India, and all the associated people on their steadfastness to bring glory to our Church. But I do hope it didn't come at the cost of our spiritual growth.

        Theological studies in India are not easy and the Church has a certain responsibility to make it better. From what I understand MSOT seminary doesn't offer Masters or Doctoral courses. Maybe we can start from there. Maybe my opinion to put Theological University on a higher priority as one of our Church's goals is a minority one and, as you put it, is not one which is passed by the Holy Synod with "two third majorities". But even in a top-down structure like ours I believe the voice of an ordinary faithful do matter and airing opinions on this forum gives me an opportunity to engage in meaningful opinion building process.

        Lastly on a personal note, my query whether you were related to me was to make us not "strangers". Though a simple yes or no might have sufficed, I do understand your reservations for giving out personal information even though I gave out my personal information. But being 22 and a student (oops! I did it again: P) makes me relax over my own privacy concerns.

        Hope I've been polite, courteous and clear.

        Zach George Arapura
        Member# 3083