Unusual form of Supplication

  • Philip Abraham.
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2012
      Dear moderators

      In some Churches like Puthupally St. George Church, we see that there are numerous shops around the Church selling metallic foil replica of snakes, certain insects, human body parts such as legs, hands etc and some people pray in the Church holding these replicas.

      In some other Churches like St. Mary's Manarcaud Church there are Nerchas (vows) such are Muttinmel-neenthal, Urul-nercha and Muthukuda-enthal. The latter is sometimes seen in St. Peter's and St. Paul's Church, Parumala (Parumala Pally).

      Now, are the above only `cultural inheritance' from our ancestors prior to the advent of Christianity in India or is there any `Orthodox significance' or `Biblical context' in such Supplication?

      Can someone please discuss?

      Regards,
      Philip Abraham.
      ID#4097