Cyril of Alexandria

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2012
      For while it is men's duty to examine themselves, and to order their conduct according to God's will, they leave this alone to busy themselves with the affairs of others: and if they see any infirm, forgetting as it seems their own frailties, they make it an excuse for faultfinding, and a handle for calumny.

      For they condemn them, not knowing that being equally afflicted with the same infirmities as those whom they censure, they condemn themselves.

      Cyril of Alexandria, Commentary on the Gospel According to St. Luke
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2311078/the-bible-and-holy-fathers-for-orthodox
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
        O sublime condescension! The Creator gives himself to his creatures for their
        delight. Life bestows itself on mortals as food and drink. “Come, eat my body,”
        he exhorts us, “and drink the wine I have mingled for you. I have prepared
        myself as food. I have mingled myself for those who desire me. Of my own will I
        became flesh and have become a partaker of your flesh and blood. . . . Eat of
        me as I am life, and live, for this is what I desire. . . . Eat my bread, for I
        am the life-giving grain of the wheat, and I am the bread of life. Drink the
        wine I have mingled for you, for I am the draught of immortality. . . . I am the
        true vine; drink my joy, the wine that I have mingled for you.”

        Cyril of Alexandria, Meditation on the Mystical Supper 10
        Sunday Sermons of the Great Fathers, Volume 1
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2261143/sunday-sermons-of-the-great-fathers-4