Our Daily Bread- A Lesson from A Fence

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2012
      READ: Matthew 7:21-29

      Whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise
      man who built his house on the rock. —Matthew 7:24

      When a section of fence around our house blew down in a howling March wind,
      my first reaction was to blame the man who built it for me only a few
      months before. On further reflection, I knew the fault was mine. As the
      fence was nearing completion, I told him there was no need to replace
      four existing posts from the previous fence with new ones set in
      concrete. “Just attach the new fence to the old posts,” I said. “It will be fine.” It was—until the winds came.
      Jesus told a powerful story to emphasize the importance of building our lives on the solid foundation of obeying His Word. “Whoever hears these
      sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was
      founded on the rock. But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and
      does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the
      sand” (Matt. 7:24-26). When the wind and rain beat against the houses,
      only the one built on the rock remained standing.
      Hearing God’s Word is essential, but doing what He says is the key to
      weathering the storms of life. It’s never too late to start building on
      the Rock. —David McCasland
      The wise man builds his house on rock
      Instead of sinking sand;
      For when the storms of life descend,
      That house will surely stand. —Sper
      When the world around you is crumbling, God is the Rock on which you can stand.