Our Daily Bread- A working Church

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2012
      READ: Revelation 2:1-7

      We give thanks to God always for you all, . . . remembering without
      ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope. —1
      Thessalonians 1:2-3

      My wife, Shirley, and I enjoyed a cruise along the fjords of Norway in
      celebration of our 50th wedding anniversary. As we journeyed northward,
      we stopped in numerous towns and villages, often visiting churches.
      Among them was a 12th-century church that our guide described proudly as “still a working church.” I asked, “What do you mean?” She referred to
      the days of the state church, when the state-appointed pastors simply
      collected their paychecks but no one attended the services. But this
      church had been faithfully holding worship services and actively serving the Lord for almost 1,000 years!
      I immediately thought of the seven churches of Revelation 2 and 3 to whom Jesus said, “I know your works” (2:2,9,13,19; 3:1,8,15). In addition,
      the church of Thessalonica was commended by the apostle Paul for its
      “work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus
      Christ” (1 Thess. 1:3).
      I also thought of my church at home. For more than 130 years it has been
      faithful in preaching and caring for its congregation and community. It
      is truly a “working church.” What a privilege we have if we’re part of a local body of believers where we can grow and serve our Lord! —Dave
      Egner
      Lord, thank You for placing us into Your family and
      giving us the privilege and responsibility to serve
      You through our churches. May we be a shining light
      of Your love to our communities and the world.
      The church is a living body and must have working parts.