Our Daily Bread- Panic or Pray

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2012
      READ: 2 Chronicles 14:1-11

      Help us, O Lord our God, for we rest on You, and in Your name we go against this multitude. —2 Chronicles 14:11

      An 85-year-old woman, all alone in a convent, got trapped inside an
      elevator for 4 nights and 3 days. Fortunately, she had a jar of water,
      some celery sticks, and a few cough drops. After she tried
      unsuccessfully to open the elevator doors and get a cell phone signal,
      she decided to turn to God in prayer. “It was either panic or pray,” she later told CNN. In her distress, she relied on God and waited till she
      was rescued.
      Asa was also faced with the options of panic or pray (2 Chron. 14). He was
      attacked by an Ethiopian army of a million men. But as he faced this
      huge fighting force, instead of relying on military strategy or cowering in dread, he turned to the Lord in urgent prayer. In a powerful and
      humble prayer, Asa confessed his total dependence on Him, asked for
      help, and appealed to the Lord to protect His own name: “Help us, O Lord our God, for we rest on You, and in Your name we go against this
      multitude” (v.11). The Lord responded to Asa’s prayer, and he won the
      victory over the Ethiopian army.
      When we are faced with tight spots, meager resources, a vast army of
      problems, or seemingly dead-end solutions, let’s not panic but instead
      turn to God who fights for His people and gives them victory. —Marvin
      Williams
      In my distress, anxiety, and fear, Lord, teach
      me to rely on You and draw close to You. Then I
      know I’ll be able to stand strong in Your power
      and won’t be dependent on my own strength.
      Prayer is the bridge between panic and peace.