Our Daily Bread- Jesus is Near

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2012
      READ: Genesis 28:10-22

      Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it. —Genesis 28:16

      Samuel, who was 4, had finished eating his dinner and asked if he could be dismissed from the table. He wanted to go outside to play. But he was too young to be out alone, so his mother said, “No. You can’t go outside by yourself. You need to wait for me to finish and go with you.” His
      quick reply: “But, Mommy, Jesus is with me!”
      Samuel had learned well from his parents that the Lord is always by his side.
      We see in our Bible reading today that Jacob had learned that lesson
      too. His father Isaac had blessed him and told him to find a wife from
      among his mother’s family (Gen. 28:1-4). He followed that directive and
      traveled toward Haran.
      As Jacob slept, the Lord came to him in a dream and said, “I am with you
      and will keep you wherever you go . . . ; for I will not leave you”
      (v.15). When he awoke, he knew that he had heard from God, and said,
      “Surely the Lord is in this place” (v.16). Confident of God’s presence, he committed himself to following Him with his life (vv.20-21).
      If we have received Jesus as our Savior (John 1:12), we can be confident
      and take comfort in the truth that He is always present with us (Heb.
      13:5). Like Jacob, may our response to His love be wholehearted
      devotion. —Anne Cetas
      Thank You, Lord, for walking with us every
      day. You are our guardian, friend,
      and guide. May we sense Your loving presence and always
      know that You are close by our side. Amen.
      Our loving God is always near—forever by our side.