An update on the 118th Coptic Papal voting process.

  • SOCM News
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2012
      COLLEYVILLE, TX. October 13, 2012 -- An update on the 118th Papal voting process.

      The Holy Synod has approved the final list of voters. There are 2411 voters who will take part in this historical event.

      The voting process for the 118th Pope of the See of Alexandria involves two steps:

      1) Thanks be to God, the first step of reducing the list of nominees to 5 names has been completed. The names are listed below:

      Fr. Bakhomios al Souriany
      Bishop Tawadrous
      Bishop Raphael
      Fr. Raphael Ava Mina
      Fr. Seraphim al Souriany

      2) Election Day
      The election date will be announced very soon.

      Voters within Egypt
      All voters within Egypt will be voting in person on the tentative election day which will be announced soon.
      Voters Outside Egypt
      According to the 1957 by-laws, voters outside of Egypt have two options for voting:
      Travel to Egypt and vote in person for voting on the tentative election day

      Go to your local Egyptian Embassy or Consulate to get a letter of power of attorney for the person who will be voting in Egypt instead of you. This person will take this letter and will vote in person instead of you.

      Process of the Ballot
      The ballot will contain the final list of the 5 nominees. The voter will vote by scratching out with a pen all names in which he/she does not vote for. There can only be a maximum of 3 unscratched names, otherwise the ballot will be rejected.

      As we go through this historical event, the presence and guidance of our Lord is vital. Thus the Church will be fasting 3 first degree fast (similar to the Wednesday and Friday fasts. Please note, the fasting dates prior to the election day and the Altar Lot will be announced soon.

      October 1-3, 2012: prior to studying the objections of the nominee; reducing the current list of nominees from seventeen to 5-7 names
      TBA: prior to the tentative election day
      TBA: prior to the Altar Lot

      We pray that our Lord Jesus Christ guide us through this process and help us to choose a good shepherd for His church according to His will.
      Source: http://www.suscopts.org/press/2012/oct/13/important-updated-on-the-118th-papal-voting-proces/