God’s Goodness: Grace, Mercy, Peace

  • Shibu Luke podiyan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2012
      God’s Goodness: Grace, Mercy, Peace
      Oct 11, 2012, 6:33AM
      The first time the word “grace” appears in the Bible is in Gen. 6:8-9: “But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD... Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God.” In Noah’s generation, “every intent of the thoughts” of men’s heart “was only evil continually,” Gen. 6:5; but Noah walked with God. Grace helps us to walk with God in our time.

      Grace, Mercy, Peace: In the apostolic salutations where “grace” and “mercy” occur together, “grace” precedes “mercy,” implying that grace is inclusive of mercy. [Grace also means help in times of testing, Heb. 4:16.] Wherever “mercy” & “peace” are found together, they occur in that order, except in Gal. 6:16. In 1 Tim. 1:2 Paul salutes Timothy with “grace, mercy, and peace.”

      We may infer that “grace” enfolds “mercy,” and “mercy” enfolds “peace.” Saved by grace through faith (Eph. 2:8), we rejoice in God’s mercy, and have peace with God, Rom.5: 1. [Grace is God’s attitude towards sinners. Mercy is God’s attitude to those who are in distress. Peace in our hearts is the result of having received mercy. Ref. Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words.]

      Paul wrote in Eph. 2:4-7: “But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.” The words “mercy,” “love,” “grace,” and “kindness” in this passage sum up God’s goodness to us. Lord, I bless you for your goodness.

      Our God delights in mercy, Micah 7:18-20: “Who is a God like You, pardoning iniquity and passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? …He delights in mercy…” When we read, “Who is a God like You…” godly fear and adoration fill our hearts, and we give thanks.

      As our God delights in mercy, let us delight I n showing mercy. “For I desire mercy and not sacrifice, and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings,” Hos. 6:6. Mercy first, not sacrifice (sacrifice = conformity to the letter of the law). This is especially important for parents in their relationship with their children, Ps.103:13. Jesus said in Matt. 12:7: “But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless.” This was in response to those who complained that His disciples broke the Sabbath when they picked the heads of grains and ate. Mercy enables us to forgive freely, and to give abundantly. Mercy is the seed and fruit of perfection, Matt. 5: 43-48.

      Our salvation is by grace from first to last. We may often confess in prayer scriptures such as:

      • 1 Cor. 15:10: “But by the grace of God I am what I am…”

      • 2 Cor. 9:8: “And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always

      having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.”

      • Ps. 23:6: “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life…”

      • John 14:27: “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

      • Ps. 119:165: “Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble.”

      Prayer:Lord, we bless you for your grace, mercy and peace. May these abound in our life. Amen

      Thankful for your prayers,

      Bro.Shibu Luke podiyan
      Washington D.C