Our Daily Bread- Helping with Hurdles

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2012
      READ: Acts 15:36-41

      Two are better than one . . . . For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. —Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

      When my daughter Debbie was a little girl, she took ballet lessons. One
      dance exercise involved jumping over a rolled-up gym mat. Debbie’s first attempt resulted in her bouncing off this hurdle. For a moment she sat
      on the floor stunned, and then she began to cry. Immediately, I darted
      out to help her up and spoke soothing words to her. Then, holding her
      hand, I ran with her until she successfully jumped over the rolled-up
      mat. Debbie needed my encouragement to clear that hurdle.
      While working with Paul on his first missionary journey, John Mark faced a
      major hurdle of his own: Things got tough on the trip, and he quit. When Barnabas tried to re-enlist Mark for Paul’s second journey, it created
      conflict. Barnabas wanted to give him a second chance, but Paul saw him
      as a liability. Ultimately, they parted ways, and Barnabas took Mark
      with him on his journey (Acts 15:36-39).
      The Bible is silent about John Mark’s response when Barnabas helped him
      over his ministry hurdle. However, he must have proven himself, because
      Paul later wrote that John Mark “is useful to me for ministry” (2 Tim.
      4:11).
      When we see a believer struggling with an apparent failure, we should
      provide help. Can you think of someone who needs your help to clear a
      hurdle? —Dennis Fisher
      Lord, I want to show the kindness of Your
      heart today. Please show me who I can help
      and in what way. I want my words and deeds
      to convey Your love. Amen.
      Kindness picks others up when troubles weigh them down.