Our Daily Bread-Still in God's Hands

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2012
      READ: Job 1:13-22

      In all this Job did not sin nor charge God with wrong. —Job 1:22

      During my first year of seminary, I listened as a new friend described her
      life. Abandoned by her husband, she was raising two small children
      alone. Earning just over minimum wage, she had little chance of escaping the poverty and dangers she described in her neighborhood.
      As a father, I was moved by her concern for her children, and asked, “How
      do you handle all of this?” She seemed surprised by my question and
      replied, “We are doing all we can do, and I must leave them in God’s
      hands.” Her trust in God in the midst of trials reminded me of Job’s
      trust (1:6-22).
      A year later, she phoned and asked if I would come be with her at the
      funeral home. Her son had been killed in a drive-by shooting. I asked
      God for words to comfort her and for the wisdom not to try to explain
      the unexplainable.
      Standing with her that day, however, I marveled as again and again she comforted others—her confidence in God unshaken by this terrible blow. Turning to me as we parted, her final words were a poignant reminder of the depth
      of her faith: “My boy is still in God’s hands.” Like Job, she “did not
      sin nor charge God with wrong”(v.22).
      We too can develop an unshakable faith by daily walking with the Lord. —Randy Kilgore
      O the peace I find in Jesus,
      Peace no power on earth can shake,
      Peace that makes the Lord so precious,
      Peace that none from me can take. —Beck
      Nothing can shake those who are secure in God’s hands.