Our Daily Bread-Least Powerful People

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2012
      READ: 1 Corinthians 10:1-13

      Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. —1 Corinthians 10:12

      An unusual list called The 100 Least Powerful People in the World appeared in the online publication 24/7 Wall St. Among those selected were corporate executives, sports figures,
      politicians, and celebrities who shared one common characteristic—­they
      used to be powerful. Some were victims of circumstances, others made
      poor business decisions, while others lost their influence because of
      moral failure.
      In 1 Corinthians 10, Paul draws a somber lesson from Old Testament
      history. The people Moses led from slavery in Egypt toward freedom in
      the Promised Land kept turning their backs on God who had delivered them (vv.1-5). Idolatry, immorality, and grumbling were among the things
      that brought them down (vv.6-10). Paul points to their collapse as an
      example to us, and sounds this warning: “Let him who thinks he stands
      take heed lest he fall” (v.12).
      Every follower of Jesus can stand firm on God’s promise: “He will see to it
      that every temptation has a way out, so that it will never be impossible for you to bear it” (v.13 Phillips). All of us have power to influence
      others in their faith. How tragic to squander it by yielding to a
      temptation that God has empowered us to resist. —David McCasland
      Lord, there are temptations to sin everywhere. Help me
      not to give in. Make me sensitive to see the ways out
      that You provide. I want my love for You to be real and
      to encourage others in their faith journey.
      The best way to escape temptation is to run to God.