study of psalm 149:6-9

  • Shibu Luke Podiyan
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2012
      Scripture must be considered in
      context; which I believe is to say not only in light of the
      surrounding verses above and below, but in the case of many
      passages, context in the sense of the time, what was
      transpiring at the time, perhaps what were the social mores
      and/or culture of the time. Such is of critical importance
      in the study of Psalm 149.

      149:6-9 Some of God's servants of old were appointed to execute vengeance according to his word. They did not do it from personal revenge or earthly politics, but in obedience to God's command. And the honour intended for all the saints of God, consists in their triumphs over the enemies of their salvation. Christ never intended his gospel should be spread by fire and sword, or his righteousness by the wrath of man. But let the high praises of God be in our mouths, while we wield the sword of the word of God, with the shield of faith, in warfare with the world, the flesh, and the devil. The saints shall be more than conquerors over the enemies of their souls, through the blood of the Lamb and the word of his testimony. The completing of this will be in the judgement of the great day. Then shall the judgement be executed. Behold Jesus, and his gospel church, chiefly in her millennial state. He and his people rejoice in each other; by their prayers and
      efforts they work with him, while he goes forth in the chariots of salvation, conquering sinners by grace, or in chariots of vengeance, to destroy his enemies.

      Vengeance - For all their cruelties and injuries
      towards God's people. This was literally accomplished by David upon the Philistines, Ammonites, Syrians and other
      neighbouring nations

      Thankful for your prayers,
      Shibu Luke Podiyan
      Washington D.C