Our Daily Bread- The High Cost of Living

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2012
      READ: Deuteronomy 30:15-20

      Love the Lord your God, . . . obey His voice, . . . that you may dwell in the land. —Deuteronomy 30:20

      When I was young, I thought the cost of living in my parents’ home was too
      high. Looking back, I laugh at how ridiculous it was to complain. My
      parents never charged me a cent for living at home. The only “cost” was
      obedience. I simply had to obey rules like clean up after myself, be
      polite, tell the truth, and go to church. The rules weren’t difficult,
      but I still had trouble obeying them. My parents didn’t kick me out for
      my disobedience, however. They just kept reminding me that the rules
      were to protect me, not harm me, and sometimes they made the rules
      stricter to protect me from myself.
      The cost of living in the Promised Land was the same: obedience. In his
      final address to the nation, Moses reminded the people that the
      blessings God wanted to give them depended on their obedience (Deut.
      30:16). Earlier he had told them that a good life would be determined by obedience: “Observe and obey . . . that it may go well with you”
      (12:28).
      Some people think the Bible has too many rules. I wish they could see that
      God’s commands are for our good; they allow us to live in peace with one another. Obedience is simply the “cost” of being part of God’s family
      on this glorious globe He created and allows us to call home. —Julie
      Ackerman Link
      Heavenly Father, may we not see obedience as a
      burden but as a privilege. Help us to be grateful
      for Jesus, who shows us how to live, and for
      the Holy Spirit, who empowers us to obey.
      The Bible is not a burden but a guide to joy-filled living.