Sermon of the Week, 10/7/12

  • Rev. Dr. V Kurian Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2012
      SERMON OF THE WEEK
      October 7, 2012

      Money is a good servant but a terrible master
      Devotional Thoughts for the 4th Sunday after Sleebo
      Next Sunday is the 4th Sunday after Sleebo. The gospel reading is from Luke 16:13-18.

      Subject: "Money is a good servant but a terrible master."

      Scripture: "No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." (Luke 16:13).

      Message: Jesus shares a great principle with us in Verse 13. The principle is that we have to choose whether we are going to give importance to God or the worldly things - (money). No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other or vice versa. We cannot have both God and mammon on our side. Mammon is the pagan god of riches.

      The principle comes down to the fundamental truth. Is Jesus really the Lord of our lives or is it the material things that is more important to us? The choice is ours.

      There was a comedian by the name Jack Benny of the "Jack Benny Show" on television back in the late 60's and 70's. He was, in the show, pictured as a penny miser who hated to spend his money. In one comedy routine, Jack was confronted by a robber. The robber pointed a gun at Jack and said, "Come on, hand it over, your money or your life." Jack rubbed his chin and said, "I am thinking, I am thinking."

      In the same manner we have a choice. Worship and serve our Lord or the money: which will it be? Do we say, "I am thinking, I am thinking?" We cannot serve God and mammon in the same proportion. We shouldn't live for to make money as the sole purpose in life and serve God on the side line. If the reason we live for is mainly to make money for the sake of the things money can buy, then that becomes our God and we cannot serve the living God at the same level.

      On the other hand, we can live to love God and He can give us the gift to make money as God has done for many. There is nothing wrong with making money or being wealthy. We must have God first, and money only to be an instrument of our love for God. We are expected to use that money to help others and for good purposes without seeking recognition for ourselves. That will indicate our love for God and that we are rightfully serving Him with the money He gave us.

      Prepared by:
      Rev. Dr. V Kurian Thomas, Valiyaparambil