Our Daily Bread- Quaking Aspens

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2012
      READ: Philippians 4:6-9

      Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. —2 Thessalonians 3:16

      While I was visiting Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, two trees caught my
      attention. Though the leaves on the surrounding trees were not moving,
      the leaves of these trees were fluttering with just the slightest hint
      of a breeze. I pointed them out to my wife, and she told me they were
      called quaking aspens. I was struck by the visual effect of those
      shaking leaves. While all the other trees appeared calm and steady, the
      quaking aspen leaves shook, even with only the faintest breeze.
      Sometimes I feel like a quaking aspen. People around me seem to be moving through life without issues or concerns, apparently steady and secure, while
      even the slightest issue can unsettle my heart. I see others and marvel
      at their calm and wonder why my own life can so easily be filled with
      turbulence. Thankfully, the Scriptures remind me that genuine, steadying calm can be found in the presence of God. Paul wrote, “Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. The Lord be with
      you all” (2 Thess. 3:16). Not only does God offer peace, He Himself is
      the Lord of peace.
      When we enter the disturbing, unsettling seasons of life, it is good to know that real peace is available in the God of all peace. —Bill Crowder
      Prince of Peace, teach me to find in You the
      calming power of Your presence. Strengthen
      me today with Your peace, and grant me the
      stability I need in this turmoil-filled world. Amen.
      Peace is more than the absence of conflict; peace is the presence of God.