Our Daily Bread- Initial Point

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2012
      READ: Psalm 119:97-104

      It is written, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.” —Matthew 4:4

      If you drive south of our home in Boise, Idaho, you’ll see a volcanic
      butte that rises out of the sagebrush on the east side of the road. This is the initial point from which the state of Idaho was surveyed.
      In 1867, four years after Idaho was organized as a territory, Lafayette
      Cartee, the Surveyor General of the United States, commissioned Peter
      Bell to survey the new territory. Bell took a sledge and drove a brass
      post into a little knob on the summit of that butte, declaring it to be
      the initial point from which he began his survey.
      The survey established the language of land description in Idaho: Townships are designated north and south of the initial point; ranges are
      designated east and west. With such descriptions, you always know
      exactly where you are.
      We may read many books, but the Word of God is our “initial point,” the
      fixed reference point. John Wesley read widely, but he always referred
      to himself as “a man of one book.” Nothing can compare to the Book of
      books, the Word of God. When we allow the Bible to be our guide in all
      of life, we can say with the psalmist, “How sweet are Your words to my
      taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (Ps. 119:103). —David Roper
      Dear Lord, we are grateful for Your Book. In it
      we learn of You and find guidance and direction
      for our lives. Help us to learn to love Your Word
      and to eagerly dig into its pages. Amen.
      The Bible is like a compass: if followed, you’re going in the right direction.