Today with Jesus

  • Ref. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , Sep 23, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” (John 13:34)

      “She does not know me, but I still know who she is.”- Husband of an Alzheimer patient.

      Love, is an experience of ecstasy that is not put in words, but in action. True love is neither physical nor romantic, true love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be. We can judge an action - is it in true spirit of love by its motive of the doers and who are its beneficiaries? Motive should be the Christ’s - sacrificial. The beneficiaries should be the weakest link in the society. This can be, should be, and has always been as long as we are at the command of Jesus, not Satan. Christ says that our Christ-like love will show that we are his disciples.

      It was around 8.30 am on a busy day that a man in his 80’s arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said that he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9 am. While the doctor was removing the sutures and redressing his wounds, he asked him why he was in such a hurry. The man told the doctor that he needed to go to the nursing home to have breakfast with his wife. He continued that she was a victim of Alzheimer’s disease and has not been able to recognize him since 5 years ago. The doctor was surprised and asked him, “And you still go every morning, even though she does not know who you are?” He smiled and replied, “She does not know me, but I still know who she is.”

      This is the love we need, but rare to see in our homes, churches, hospitals and work place.

      Prayer: Jesus, let us love one another as you have loved us. Let us not be pretenders, but be genuine in our love for others. We pray for all Alzheimer patients. We pray for the man of love who is at the services of his sick wife even though she can’t recognize him. Let your kingdom of love abide in our homes and churches. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Love

      Paulose Achen
      Toronto
      Monday, 24th September 2012