Kerala Vasthu vs Christian

  • BAIJU P CHACKO
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16, 2012
      Dear All

      In Kerala so many people's are obeying vasthu especially for house construction, which is not yet written the principles. Being a Christian is it right to Obey the Vasthu ? Vasthu is based on Hindu Gods which we are not following. If not why our leaders are not guiding to our peoples? Are we constructing our Church according to Vasthu rule?

      Regards,

      Baiju
      ---------------
      From the desk of the Moderators:

      Please sign your messages with member ID. If you do not have a member ID, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com) and obtain a member ID BEFORE POSTING ANY MORE MESSAGES in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation.
    • Rajan Varghese
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 18, 2012
        Dear Moderators

        This is response to Mr Baijus query regarding vastu for Chritians

        The vastu vidya do not have any religion, caste or creed. If you study in details, it can be seen that it is a science or a guide line for constructing a house for humans, temple of God, a cattle shed, a boat/ship, a chair, town planning etc etc.

        All the above are meant for a comfortable & healthy stay or offering prayers etc which are required for human beings. The vastu is mainly meant for optimizing the use of natural resources such as fresh air, fresh water, adequate sunlight etc which is a gift from GOD. It has nothing to do with any religion.

        For better understanding, the Gurus prepared vastu sastra by naming various Gods and Asuras based on their nature and behavior.

        There is a relationship between the height and weight of a human similarly there is a relationship with respect to sizes/ dimensions of houses where we stay. All the measurements are derived from the standard dimensions of the body. For example one mile is derived from the length covered when thousand Italian soldiers standing with their stretched (both) hands.

        In Indian vatuu sastra, the dimensions are derived from yavam grains sizes, padukam- standard foot length, thalam- standard palm size etc etc.

        Based on our christian Devalaya Vastu sastra , Churches are constructed in east west direction with Holy of Holies at the eastern side. This is our sastra.

        It is sad that our Gurus may not be aware about the importance or they may be avoiding it. However, as far as possible we try to construct our Churches in east-west direction and our houses facing the main road (approaches).

        With regards

        Rajan Varghese
        NOIDA
        From the desk of the Moderators:

        Please sign your messages with member ID. If you do not have a member ID yet, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com) and obtain a member. Thank you for your cooperation.
      • Rev. Fr. Bennet Kuriakose
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 18, 2012
          Dear moderator,

          This is a reply to the questions asked by Mr. Baiju P. Chacko regarding Vasthu.

          Vasthu shasthra is an ancient Indian doctrine that is used for construction of temples, houses, furnitures etc. This is basically based on Hindu mythology. The basic legend is that the cosmic being from shiva– the Vastu Purusha – is lying down on the plot with head in the North-East direction and legs in the West-South direction arrested by different devatas (gods).

          The myth of Vastu Purusha can be read here:
          http://www.vedicrishi.in/vastu/index/act/vastu-purusha

          The lying position of Vastu Purusha can be seen here:
          http://www.hindu.com/pp/2005/07/09/images/2005070900900201.jpg

          As the root is based on myth, Vasthu shasthra contains 90% of superstitions and is against modern science. I have seen vasthu shasthra ‘experts’ use a chain to locate the proper position of the pole signifying the position of the house in the plot (“kutti vekkuka”). If the chain is oscillating, the location is improper and if the chain is freely rotating the location is proper!!!! (Truth is that, the person holding the chain can control the motion of the chain, knowingly or unknowingly.). Another example is that constrains in the number of risers in the steps (in stair case, steps leading to sit-out etc.) based on “ayam- vyayam” or “laabham – nashttam” (profit-loss) concept, which has no scientific base.

          Some vasthu rules are not at all significant today. For example, the rule of “maranachuttu” of dimensioning the rooms. The basic idea for maranachuttu is that, anciently when houses were built with tiled roof, the length of the principal rafters (kazhukkol) should be based upon the room dimensions. Since Pythagoras’ theorem was not so popular in those days in India, they had only certain thumb rules for calculating the length of the principal rafters, which is not valid for some or other room dimensions, which they named ‘maranachuttu’. Another idea of this ‘maranachuttu’ concept is to minimize the cost of construction. For buildings in the current scenario, this is not applicable because reinforced concrete slabs can be designed for any dimension of the room. An expert engineer or architect can organize the room dimensions scientifically (other than given in vasthu shasthra books!) so as to minimize the cost and maximize the utility.

          Another example for Vasthu rule which is not significant today is regarding the place for construction of house based on the soil properties. Vasthu shasthra denies building houses in clayey soil as well as in the converted funeral and war grounds or containing . In modern Civil Engineering, we have so many scientific methods to improve soil and other techniques in foundation engineering, enabling us to make buildings even in marshy area or even in sea!

          I am not denying the scientific aspects in Vasthu. Example is that, the house is to be built facing east or north so as to reduce the temperature inside during summer. The kitchen is to be built at the north-east side so that the morning sun rays should reach the kitchen and hot afternoon sun rays should not reach the kitchen. The master bedroom shall be on the south-west corner enabling plenty of air supply throughout the year. Toilet should not be in the south-west corner because the foul smell can be inside your house throughout the year! (Even if you build a toilet in the south-west corner unknowingly, an exhaust fan can solve the problem. Nobody is going to die in your family because of THIS reason as your Vasthu expert would have told!!!)

          Considering scientific aspects of Vasthu, it may not be valid all around the globe. The houses are to be made based on the wind, climatic conditions, location and soil properties of the particular area. So even though there are some scientific aspects in Vasthu, that may not be valid universally, especially in cities where you have very small area for building house and may be surrounded by flats. So houses are to be build on the engineering judgement and not on predefined rules which were fabricated centuries before.

          I have seen many of the churches also following blindly the practice of Vasthu, which brought immense grieve in my heart. As one example, I will share about the number of steps from Azhikkakam to the Sanctuary. Our tradition is that from the Azhikkakam, the priest (or anybody entering the Sanctuary) should first place his left leg on the first step and go up, then finally place his right leg on the sanctuary. To have an easy entry, the number of risers of the steps should be even in number (2, 4, 6 etc.) . But according to the so called “labham-nashttam” concept in Vasthu, the steps should be odd. Many churches are built on this concept and the number of steps are odd in number. The problem encountering here is that the priest place his right leg on the last but one step, then place the left leg also on the same step taking a standing position a while, again step on the sanctuary with his right leg. The entry process becomes cumbersome, especially for old priests! So following blindly the Vasthu, we are facing some tedious problems. (Moreover, the churches should not be based on “laabham”, they should be on "nashttam". The church is to give people the blessings and hands, and should not be an institution based on profit!)

          So faithful should not believe in the so called “Vasthu experts” blindly, whether he is coming in a Christian name or not. The motif is usually money and nothing else! “But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good” (1 Thessalonians 5:21). An expert architect and an engineer can plan your houses or building better than a Vasthu expert.

          The so called Vasthu experts usually induce panic among people that if they do not follow one Vasthu principle, some mischief can happen in their lives. This is not true according to Christian belief and Bible. God is the controller of our lives. Whatever is happening in our lives is within the knowledge of our loving Father in heaven. Then why should we be afraid of the so called Vasthu gods (who are believed to bring harm)? “The LORD is on my side; I will not fear” (Psalms 118:6). “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalms 27:1). All the so called Vasthu gods are powerless before our mighty Lord Jesus Christ. So who are you afraid of?

          Priests should also bring awareness to the people regarding the same. I have seen many people, when some sorrowful incidences occur in their lives; believe that these are because of the Vasthu problems. They spent a lot of money on the Vasthu consultant and changing the pattern/structure of the house. This is insane. This is like fortune-tellers who play with human psychology and nothing else. The pattern/structure of one’s house cannot bring sufferings throughout his/her life.

          So following Vasthu is against Christianity and science.

          God Bless!

          Kasheesho Bennet Kuriakose, M. Tech.(Civil)
          Ph.D. Scholar, IIT Madras.
        • Rev. Fr. Bennet Kuriakose
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 18, 2012
          Dear moderator,

          This is a reply to the questions asked by Mr. Baiju P. Chacko regarding Vasthu

          Vasthu shasthra is an ancient Indian doctrine that is used for construction of temples, houses, furnitures etc. This is basically based on Hindu mythology. Th
          e basic legend is that the cosmic being from god Shiva – the Vastu Purusha – is lying down on the plot for the construction, with his head in the North-East direction and the legs in the South-West direction, arrested by different devatas (gods).

          The myth of Vastu Purusha can be read here:
          http://www.vedicrishi.in/vastu/index/act/vastu-purusha

          The lying position of Vastu Purusha can be seen here:
          http://www.hindu.com/pp/2005/07/09/images/2005070900900201.jpg

          As the root is based on myth, Vasthu shasthra contains mainly of superstitions and is against modern science. I have seen vasthu shasthra ‘experts’ using a chain to locate the position of the proposed house in the plot (“kutti vekkuka”). If the chain is oscillating, the location is improper and if the chain is freely rotating the location is proper!!!! (Truth is that, the person holding the chain can control the motion of the chain, knowingly or unknowingly.). Another example is the constrains in the number of risers in the steps (in stair case, steps leading to sit-out etc.) based on “ayam- vyayam” or “laabham – nashttam” (profit-loss) concept, which has no scientific basis.

          Some vasthu rules are not at all significant today. For example, the rule of “maranachuttu” of dimensioning the rooms. The basic idea for maranachuttu is that, anciently when houses were built with tiled roof, the length of the inclined principal rafters (kazhukkol) should be based upon the room dimensions. Since Pythagoras’ theorem was not popular in those days in India, they had only certain thumb rules for calculating the length of the principal rafters, which is not valid for some or other room dimensions, which they named ‘maranachuttu’. Another idea of this ‘maranachuttu’ concept is to minimize the cost of construction. For buildings in the current scenario, these are not applicable because reinforced concrete slabs can be designed for a room, whatever be its dimension. Even If tiled roof is demanded, we have sophisticated softwares to calculate the dimensions of any part of the house with a single click. Furthermore, an expert engineer or architect can organize the room dimensions scientifically (other than given in vasthu shasthra books!) so as to minimize the cost and maximize the utility.

          Another example for Vasthu rule which is not significant today is regarding the place for construction of house based on the soil properties. Vasthu shasthra denies building houses in clayey soil as well as in the converted funeral and war grounds. In modern Civil Engineering, we have so many scientific methods to improve soil properties and other techniques in foundation engineering, enabling us to make buildings even in marshy area or even in sea!

          I am not denying the scientific aspects in Vasthu. Of course, Vasthu books do not explain these scientific aspects, but we can analyze the same based on engineering principles. For example, as per Vasthu, the house is to be built facing east or north so as to reduce the temperature inside during summer. Another example is that, the kitchen is to be built at the north-east side so that the morning sun rays should reach the kitchen and hot afternoon sun rays should not reach the kitchen. The master bedroom shall be on the south-west corner enabling plenty of air supply throughout the year. Toilet should not be in the south-west corner because the foul smell can be inside your house throughout the year! (Even if you built a toilet in the south-west corner unknowingly, an exhaust fan can solve the problem. Nobody is going to die in your family because of THIS reason as your Vasthu expert would have told!!!)

          Considering scientific aspects of Vasthu, it may not be valid all around the globe. The houses need to be constructed based on the wind, climatic conditions, location and soil properties of the particular area. Even though there are some scientific aspects in Vasthu, that may not be valid universally, especially in cities where you have very small plot and may be surrounded by high rise buildings restricting wind and sun. For example, supposing the plot is having high rise buildings surrounded at its western side, it is ridiculous to construct the master bedroom on the south-west corner, because you will not have proper air supply and the summer heat from the south will cause the bedroom temperature to shoot up. Vasthu rules will be invalid for that location. So the houses are to be built on the engineering judgement and not on predefined rules which were fabricated centuries before.

          I have seen many of the churches also following blindly the practice of Vasthu, which bring immense grieve in my heart. As one example, I will share about the number of steps from Azhikkakam to the Holy Madbaha. Our tradition is that from the Azhikkakam, the priest (or anybody entering the Madbaha) should first place his left leg on the first step and go up, then finally place his right leg on the Madbaha. To have an easy entry, the number of risers of the steps should be even in number (2, 4, 6 etc.). But according to the so called “labham-nashttam” concept in Vasthu, the steps should be odd. Many churches are built on this concept and the number of steps are odd in number. The problem encountering here is that the priest is forced to place his right leg on the last but one step, then place the left leg also on the same step taking a standing position a while, again step on the sanctuary with his right leg. The entry process becomes cumbersome, especially for old priests with full vestments! The problem become manifold when he is carrying the Holy Qurbana in his hand. So because of blindly following the Vasthu rules, we are facing some serious problems. (Moreover, the churches should not be based on “laabham” , they should be on "nashttam" . The church is to give people the godly blessings and hands, and should not be an institution based on profit!). An illustration of the abovementioned problem is attached herewith.

          So faithful should not believe in the so called “Vasthu experts” blindly, whether he is coming in a Christian name or not. The motif is usually money and nothing else! “But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good” (1 Thessalonians 5:21). An expert architect and an engineer can plan your house or building better than a Vasthu person.

          The so called Vasthu experts usually induce panic among people that if they do not follow one Vasthu principle, some mischief can happen in their lives. This is not true according to Christian belief and Bible. God is the controller of our lives. Whatever is happening in our lives is within the knowledge of our loving Father in heaven. Then why should we be afraid of the so called Vasthu gods (who are believed to bring harm)? “The LORD is on my side; I will not fear” (Psalms 118:6). “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalms 27:1). All the so called Vasthu gods are powerless before our mighty Lord Jesus Christ. So who are you afraid of?

          Priests should also bring awareness to the people regarding the same. I have seen many people, when some sorrowful incidences occur in their lives; believe that these are because of the Vasthu problems. There are so many people grieve thinking that the troubles in their lives are due to Vasthu problems. Unfortunately, learned ones and even engineers are also included among them! They spent a lot of money on the Vasthu consultant and in changing the pattern/structure of the house already built believing their words. This is insane. This is like fortune-tellers who play with human psychology and nothing else. Please understand that pattern/structure of one’s house cannot bring sufferings throughout his/her life.

          So following Vasthu is against Christianity and science. An engineer or an architect can plan your house based on engineering principles. Moreover, we are dedicating the house to God during the "koodaasha". Have faith that God will take care of our lives and the house. Please do not fall into the preying hands of Vasthu 'experts'.

          God Bless!
          Kasheesho Bennet Kuriakose, M.Tech (civil)
          Ph.D. Scholar, IIT Madras.
        • Baiju.P.Chacko
          Message 5 of 8 , Sep 19, 2012
            Dear Mr. Rajan Varghese

            Being a Civil Engineer, I can't accept your opinion. Why because, In Civil engineering or Architectural Engineering we are not studying any such vasthu which is limiting to some dimension/ size etc.

            While designing a building designer should consider some points such as purpose of building/Nature of land incl. soil/ stability of structure/Ventilations /access of plot/ cost etc. There is no such rule what vasthu peoples saying. According to your comment modern science and Engineering are wrong and the correct one is vasthu which is not yet written. I fully agreed with the post by Kasheesho Bennet Kuriakose, M. Tech.(Civil) Ph.D. Scholar, IIT Madras.

            Please refer Kasheesho Bennet Kuriakose,It is very clear the basic legend is that the cosmic being from shiva the Vastu Purusha is lying down on the plot with head in the North-East direction and legs in the West-South direction arrested by different devatas (gods).

            So being a christian how we can follow shiva the Vastu Purusha etc?????????? It's against the Christianity and why our leaders are not teaching to the peoples?

            The Vasthu is totally stupidity and there are no common rules and any authorized and genuine books available in the market .The available books are misleading the peoples according to the author's knowledge.

            Regards,

            Baiju.P.Chacko
            Dubai
            From the desk of the Moderators:

            Please sign your messages with member ID. If you do not have a member ID yet, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com ) and obtain a member. Thank you for your cooperation.
          • Mathew G M
            Message 6 of 8 , Sep 19, 2012
              Rev Fr. Bennet Kuriakose,

              Thank you very much for providing this great perspective which you are able to give as a Civil Engineer and as a Priest.

              Another meaningless thing which a lot of us 'Malankara Syriac Orthodox Christians' follow even more than Vaastu is 'Raahu Kaalam'. I wish we all remembered Psalm 118:24 that tell us: "This is the day our Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it." Our Lord has made all hours of the day as good hours as He is all good. He has not made any hour, not even raahu kaalam, as a bad hour. It is us men by our evil actions who turn those `good hours' into bad ones.

              In Christ,
              Mathew G M
              0929
            • Dr Thomas Joseph
              Message 7 of 8 , Sep 20, 2012
                Barekhmor Rev. Fr. Bennet Kuriakose,

                Thanks for your perspective on Vasthu - clearly an occult art.

                I have a question regarding your description of the custom related to entry into the sanctuary. I understand the traditional emphasis on entering a sacred place with your right foot forward. However, why does the ascent up the flight of steps begin with left foot? Wouldn't it be traditional to also start with the right foot on the first step? With an odd number of steps one would then naturally enter the sanctuary with the right foot first. Hope you can explain the custom.

                Regards,
                Thomas Joseph
                ID: 0202

                Message 8 of 8 , Sep 23, 2012
                  Dear Dr. Thomas Joseph,

                  Regarding the entry of a priest to the Holy Sanctuary, you asked a question that, why a priest cannot start moving up with his right foot first. The answer is, it is our tradition to start everything with left and end up with right. Remember when we draw the cross on ourselves, we do the same. When the priest wear the holy vestments like the "msone" (ceremonial shoes - *cheruppu*), "zende" (sleeves -* kaiyyura*) etc. the left one is worn first. Furthermore, when the priest take a turn in the sanctuary ( for incensing, shubkono etc.), he take an anticlockwise sequence, i.e., starting with left side and end up at the right side. I think these symbolizes the process of Christ reforming us 'the children of left' (of the evil) to 'the children of right' (of the Divine).