Our Daily Bread- Correct Them

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2012
      READ: 1 Samuel 2:12,27-36

      Why do you . . . honor your sons more than Me, to make yourselves fat with
      the best of all the offerings of Israel My people? —1 Samuel 2:29

      Therapist and mother Lori Gottlieb says that parents who are obsessed with their
      children’s happiness may actually contribute to their becoming unhappy
      adults. These parents coddle their children, do not equip them to deal
      with the real world, look the other way when their children do wrong,
      and neglect disciplining them.
      In 1 Samuel, we read that the high priest Eli sometimes looked the other
      way. We don’t know what he was like as a father when his boys were
      young. But he failed to properly deal with their behavior as grown men
      serving in God’s temple. They were selfish, lustful, and rebellious,
      putting their own needs ahead of God’s Word and the needs of the people. At first, Eli rebuked them but they would not listen. Instead of
      removing them from service, he looked the other way and let them
      continue in their sin. As a result of his sons’ sins and because Eli
      honored his sons above the Lord (1 Sam. 2:29), the Lord warned Eli that
      his family would suffer judgment (v.34; 4:17-18).
      As Christian parents, we have the awesome responsibility to lovingly
      discipline our children (Prov. 13:24; 29:17; Heb. 12:9-11). As we impart God’s wisdom to them, we have the blessing of helping them develop into responsible, God-fearing adults. —Marvin Williams
      They are buds of hope and promise,
      Possessed by Him whose name is Love;
      Lent us here to train and nourish
      For a better life above. —Crosby
      Failure to discipline our children is a failure to love them.