Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , Sep 15, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      " My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”(Ex 33:14)

      Won the Olympic Gold Medal for 400 meters race resting on Sabbath -Sunday , which was not run on Sunday

      In our insanely busy world, with all the 24/7 pressure to drive and strive, weekends are no longer time to rest but o time to catch up on more work! We are not restful at our cores guarantee nothing. Rest from the maddening restless work culture we have to jump out to be with Jesus in hills and valleys, streams and lakes, birds and animals, sunshine and rains, moon and stars, mist and snow, churches and prayers, Holy Mass and mediation, children and spouses, friends and relatives untouched with texts messages and email, I pad and cell, face book and skype.

      Restless work is associated with emptiness of the soul and to fill it with stuff of this world and to prove it worthiness and to cover the shame of nakedness with knitted fig leaves of education, success and productivity .There is no substitute for rest in Jesus for our body, spirit and souls but rest. God rested from all his work. “Then God blessed the 7th day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.”(Gen 2:3) God invites and even commands us to trust him to manage the world for 24/7 with out our labour. We don’t strive to out -wit others to prove our identity by working more and earning more. Risk entering Jesus’ rest so that you can learn what it means to live freely and lightly.” In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.(Is 30:15)

      Liddell, a devoted Christian, believed running was an experience of who he was in God. In the move on the true story of Eric Liddell “Chariots of fire” he tells his sister, I believe that God made me for a purpose… but he also made me fast, and when I run, I feel his pleasure.” His core identity was rooted in God rather than running. He was not out to prove who he was. So when his qualifying heat was scheduled for Sunday( the day he observed Sabbath), Liddell felt free not to compete. Upbraided by the price of Wales and the British Olympic committee, Liddell remarked that obeying God mattered more to him than a race. At that moment of impasse, Lord Lindsay, who had already won a silver medal, offered Liddell his place in the 400 meter race, which was not run on Sunday. Liddell won Gold.

      Prayer. Jesus let us have the transcendent anchor of rest in you. Let us find our identities in you not in our jobs or any other matters of this world. Le us observe the Sabbath as you have commanded. Let our lives tuned with your rhythm of life not ours. We pray for all those who are in your command of observing Sabbath..

      All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Love
      Paulose Achen
      Toronto