Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , Sep 13, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      "Offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God.” (Romans 12:1)

      Florence Nightingale (1820-1910) decided that her vocation was to became a hospital nurse, but her parents forbade it.

      Gods wants us to offer ourselves as living sacrifices - daily laying aside our own desires to follow Him. We have to put all our energy and resources at his disposal and trust Him to guide us. Christian commitment means worshipping Jesus and following all his commandments. When conflicts arise between the desires of God and your/parents' desire, heed the voice of God, not man. We are from God and we are for God and our future is good when we are at his service. This is the way to lead a conflict-free life on earth.

      When Florence Nightingale was 16, she felt that God was calling her to do something extraordinary, even revolutionary, with her life. She was torn between the pressure from her family asking her to marry and start a family or to serve as a nurse, then regarded as the servant of servants, and even "women of easy virtues." In spite of her parents' protests, she became the superintendent of a hospital for sick women in 1853 by sheer determination. Opportunity fell on her to work with wounded soldiers living in deplorable conditions. Her opinion: “No man, not even a doctor, ever gives any other definition of what a nurse should be than this - 'devoted and obedient.’ This definition would do just as well for a porter. It might even do for a horse. It would not do for a policeman.” Armed with this spirit, she set out to help soldiers who were left to rot and die in filthy beds, with an open sewer underneath the hospital, stinking out the entire place, making meaningful medical care virtually impossible. She was at this time given the nickname, “The lady with the Lamp,” due to her constant wandering around the hospital late at night to make sure that the men were cared for, fed, and kept clean, and the hospital was properly heated. That way, she had laid the foundation of nursing care. She died in 1910, leaving a world eternally changed for the better.

      Prayer: Jesus, let us commit our lives at your service. We pray for all the medical professionals, especially the nurses around the world who are serving patients in very deplorable conditions. Let your loving, healing and soothing hands comfort them. Let us salute them in you. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Love
      Paulose Achen
      Toronto
      Friday, 14th September 2012