Today with Jesus

  • Rev. Fr. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , Sep 12, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      "Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old.”

      (Proverbs: 23:22)

      Pure love makes daughter and son-in-law to take care of the bedridden mother without the assistance of any paid caregivers.

      Old age is blessed as long as there are loving children to take care. The only solution for aging problems in today's world is to ease the financial burden and the concerns of the children, which can be done by looking after our parents as the Bible says. There is no justification to abandoning our parents and no Christian who is destined to eternity will dare to neglect his/her parents by throwing away the whole life's labour- heaven. Children cannot be substituted by caregivers. Money will come and go, but not parents and eternity. Materialism and self-indulgence are the root cause for the abandonment and paid caregivers of the aged. This can be solved only by the first love in Jesus that begins at home. The adage “Charity begins at home” is still applicable.

      Varghese, an engineer and Ammini, a teacher are an ideal well settled couple in Madars. They are also blessed with highly educated children well settled in Canada and in Kerala. His bed-ridden mother-in-law has been ailing for the last few years and depends on others to do all her chores. Without any complaints or fuss, the retired couple take care of her 24/7 with love and affection. Once I asked Varghese, ”Why don't you employ a caregiver to help you take care of her?" He answered, “Father, no one can do as we do for our mother and we are fully dedicated to her.” What loving children and she's truly a blessed mother!

      Prayer: Jesus, let us care for our parents when they need us, especially in their old age. Let us take care of them not just materialistically, but with personal care and love. Let your spirit of love abide with all our children. Let no parents be abandoned in tears. We pray for all the children like Varghese and Ammine who are at the services of their parents. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Love
      Paulose Achen
      Toronto
      Thursday, 13th September 2012