Today with Jesus

  • Very Rev. Paulose V V
    Message 1 of 442 , Sep 8, 2012
      Today with Jesus

      “Because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.” (Hebrew 2:9)

      Genovese Syndrome.

      Jesus heard our cries. And He got off his throne and came down to us. God willing to descend, in the words of Henri Nouwen, ”to the total dereliction of one condemned to death. As Paul wrote in Philippians, Jesus emptied himself and became a servant, even to death. As Isaiah prophesied by his bruises, we are healed. Jesus will never leave and abandoned us for the devil to devour his children. He did this so we can know that in God’s eyes, we are equally valuable, loveable, important and worth dying for. He called us to follow Him. Following involves a coming down, a humbling of oneself and serving of others and to even have a terrible death for the sake of others. We are living in a world where insensitivity is the norm to others' precarious and dangerous situations. No one is ready to take risks for others. We are in need of heroes to take the cross to follow Jesus to carry on his mission of salvation.

      Katherine Susan Genovese was ruthlessly killed at Kew Gardens in New York City. Early in the morning on March 13, 1964, she was attacked by an assailant on her way home from work. Her screams woke her neighbours, who flipped on their lights and looked down from their windows Someone shouted to leave the girl alone and the assailant retreated. Stabbed and near death, the girl called to help. No one immediately called the police. A few minutes later, the assailant returned. He robbed Genovese for forty-nine dollars and stabbed her to death. This failure on the part of the observers to get involved became known as the Genovese syndrome.

      Prayer: Jesus, let us be risk takers to save our lives and the lives of others. Let us follow you by imitating you in all our realms of life. Let us involve and hear the cries of our fellow beings in their precarious situations. We pray for all those who are in dangerous zones like Genovese to get timely attention and help. Let us not be bystanders, but players. All we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen.

      Love

      Paulose Achen
      Toronto
      Sunday, 9th September 2012