Re: Mono - Physis teaching of St.Severus

  • Dr. Sinu P. John
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2012
      Dear Brother in Jesus Christ,

      RE:
      1. >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfAN3sXK3HU#t=01m12s

      "Is the meaning of this hymn consistent with the `Christology' of St. Severus
      ?"

      The hymn on the link is "Kefneth Kmo Zabnin" by Mor Ephrem and it is a a hymn on his own feelings on appetite. This hymn does not refer to the nature of Jesus Christ, but instead refers to the human nature (as that of Mor Aphrem) as ours. Later part of the hymn shows that it is referring to the author and not Jesus. The human nature is afflicted with hunger drive and Mor Ephrem is trying to fight the bodily needs.

      The song is as follows:

      Frequently I was hungry
      Because my nature demanded food.
      But I refused to eat that I might be worthy
      Of that happiness which is kept for those who fast.

      Similarly, Mor Ephrem restricted himself on drinking as well. His hymn tells:

      My earthly body urged me
      to drink water. I left it dry
      that it might go rejoicing
      in the drizzle of Paradise.

      Mor Ephrem spent most of his life in meditation, fasting, worship and prayers, which are the true characteristics of monks. He even hesitated to become a priest or bishop. He observed fasting on most of his time to receive the special blessing which he believed is kept for those who fast. His whole mind was dedicated to the Lord all the time, so much that in imagination, he turns himself into "a church" on its altar he sacrifices himself "like a lamb."

      I made of myself a church of the Christ
      Within which I offered
      Perfume and incense
      The work of my members
      My thought became an altar
      My will a priest
      And like an unblemished lamb
      I sacrificed myself as an offering.

      However, Mor Ephrem clearly distinguish the sacrifice in the sanctuary (Qurbono) from his own imagination of himself as a sacrifice and writes later:

      Whenever I received the Fire
      Of the Eucharist
      It was my prayer that it should
      Burn the weeds of my members

      Brethren, the fire which had settled
      In my members, I have extinguished its flame
      By the Blood of God
      So that it may not burn my person

      The Body of God which I received
      In the Sanctuary
      Protected my person from all the evil
      Caused by the devil who fought with me.

      RE:
      2. > "This understanding of ONE-NATURE (Mono – Physis) is why we are called the
      monophysite church"

      We do not call ourselves `monophysite'. A better terminology, although rarely used, to describe our doctrine is `Miaphysitism'. Only Roman Catholics and Byzantine Orthodox Church call us as `Monophysite' Church. Our faith is NOT the same as described by the term `Monophysite'. We believe that Jesus had both human and divine nature, but these natures were not separate as could be inferred from the terminology `dyophysitism', which is very close to, but not same as, that of Netorianism. The two natures did NOT combine together and formed one (and thus did not become either human alone or God alone) or a different one to call monophysitism, but existed together as God-Man (Miaphysitism). When Jesus was offered as sacrifice, both his human and divine natures were sacrificed together, thus became the greatest sacrifice ever. These two natures were INSEPARABLE in the incarnate God. Writings of Mor Ephrem or Mor Severius do not contradict this doctrine. Mor Ephrem writes on the Christ's nature:

      Glorious is The Wise One who allied and joined
      Divinity with humanity,
      One from the height and the other from below
      He mingled the natures like pigments
      And an image came into being: The God-man

      Mor Dionysius Geevarghese Vattasseril's book translated into English as `Quintessence of Religious Doctorines' explains the incarnation of God as follows: "There was no mutation to His divine nature when He assumed a human body. The natures of humanity and divinity got inseparably united but without joining and without undermining in any way anyone of the natures".

      Mor Dionysius wrote this book based on the theology explained by early church fathers like Mor Ephrem and Mor Severius.

      The book explains more in detail regarding this doctrine of the church (page 33-36). You can read the entire book online:
      http://www.malankarasyriacvoice.com/News/MadopadesaSarangal_English.pdf

      With prayers,

      Sinu P. John, PhD
      Boston, MA,USA
      Member ID: 0076
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2012
        Thank you very much. Very helpful.

        Mathew G M
        0929

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Dr. Sinu P. John wrote:

        > Dear Brother in Jesus Christ,
        >
        > RE:
        > 1. >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfAN3sXK3HU#t=01m12s
        >
        > "Is the meaning of this hymn consistent with the `Christology' of St. Severus
        > ?"
        > >

        > The hymn on the link is "Kefneth Kmo Zabnin" by Mor Ephrem and it is a a hymn on his own feelings on appetite. This hymn does not refer to the nature of Jesus Christ, but instead refers to the human nature (as that of Mor Aphrem) as ours. Later part of the hymn shows that it is referring to the author and not Jesus. The human nature is afflicted with hunger drive and Mor Ephrem is trying to fight the bodily needs.
      • Rev. Fr. Peter Farrington
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2012
          There is a podcast I produced on the Orthodox Christology of St Severus here...

          http://orthodoxfaith.podbean.com/2012/02/14/the-orthodox-christology-of-st-severus/

          Father Peter Farrington