Four Things Jesus Did for the Disciples on the Eve of His Death

  • Shibu Podiyan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2012
      Four Things Jesus Did for the Disciples on the Eve of His Death

      He ate Passover supper with them, Luke 22: 14-18
      He washed their feet (at the end of the Supper, before the Lord’s Table), John 13:1-10
      He instituted the Lord’s Table (immediately following the Supper), Luke 22:19-20
      He prayed for them, John 17

      Passover Supper: Meditating on the above four events even briefly brings many blessings. Eating a meal together was the high point of friendship and mutual commitment in that community. Jesus knew it would be the Last Supper, Luke 22:15-16: “…With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” These are words of tender love and parting sorrow. Jesus loved them “to the last and to the highest degree,” John 13:1, Amplified Bible. The meaning and value of our life is summed up in this one thing: Loving the brethren “to the last and to the highest degree.”

      Washing the Feet: It was the job of a slave to wash the feet of guests – the lowliest service, and therefore the highest. Jesus’ life of obedience as a servant had been perfected at this point, Heb. 5:8-9. That may be the reason He waited till last. This example makes us humble. It helps us to have godly fear concerning our service to the brethren. God entrusts the meanest service only to such humble servants of the highest commitment and willing obedience. While we wash one another’s feet, we are actually sharing our inheritance with one another, John 13:8: “…If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.” What is the inheritance we share? I must have humility as I serve so my brother may share a part with me of my humility; so patience; so kindness; so also with love, joy, peace and all the fruits of the Spirit.

      Lord’s Table: His body was soon to be broken and His blood shed for the sin of the world, when He served the bread and the wine. He told the disciples (Luke 22:19-20), " This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me…. This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.” This event became the most enduring sacrament of fellowship in the body of Christ. We remember His sufferings and death for us when we partake of the bread and the cup; and we look forward to His coming again, 1 Cor 11:26. Our Lord waited till the last moment to do this, pointing to His imminent death, thus signifying the deepest love, and the glory of such love.

      Jesus’ Prayer for the Disciples: He prayed (John 17, all) just before He was arrested. In spite of the sorrow and the impending danger, He prayed most solemnly, and in peace. The high point of the prayer may be this: “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me,” John 17:20-23. Note that our perfection consists in this: “that they may be made perfect in one.” It is for this that our Lord died: “that they may be made perfect in one.” Let us commit ourselves to love the brethren, looking to the one who
      prayed for us with such love in His final hours.

      Lord, we thank you for the love with which you loved us. You are making us one with you and the Father, and with all the saints of all time. Let our heart receive by faith the love that was in your heart as you ate the Passover Supper, washed the disciples feet, gave the bread and the cup, and at last prayed the Last Prayer with the disciples. Such love, Lord! Such glory, Lord! Such mercy, Lord. Amen.
      Thankful for our prayers,
      Bro.Shibu Luke Podiyan
      Washington D.C