Our Daily Bread- Well Prepared

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2012
      READ: Ephesians 6:10-20

      You also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect. —Matthew 24:44

      The idea of always being prepared makes me think of the man who lived next
      door to us when I was growing up. When Mr. Nienhuis came home, he never
      failed to back his car into the garage. That seemed unusual to me until
      my mother explained that Nels was a volunteer fireman. If he got a call, he had to be ready to race to the fire station. He backed in so he
      could leave quickly when he had to report for duty.
      To be well prepared is important in so much of life. “If I had 8 hours to
      chop down a tree, I’d spend 6 sharpening my axe,” said Abraham Lincoln.
      We prepare for a career by studying. We buy insurance in case of a car
      accident or a house fire. We even prepare for the end of life by making a will to provide for loved ones.
      The Bible tells us we must prepare ourselves spiritually as well. We do that by putting on spiritual armor to protect ourselves
      from spiritual attack (Eph. 6:10-20); by preparing our minds for holy
      living (1 Peter 1:13); by making sure we’re always prepared to answer
      questions about the reason for the hope we possess (3:15); and by
      ensuring that we are ready for the promised return of Jesus (Matt.
      24:44).
      How well prepared are you for what lies ahead? Unsure? Ask the Lord for His help and guidance. —Cindy Hess Kasper
      When I awake at early morn
      To meet the coming day,
      I want to be prepared to take
      Whatever comes my way. —Simmons
      Spiritual victory comes only to those who are prepared for battle.