Church publications and low subscriptions...Are we doing it wrong way?

  • Viny Varghese
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 6:31 AM
      In our Jacobite Syrian orthodox church we have many publications to reach out to its members and propagate its ideology. But I think we are big failure in reaching up to the readers. This can be checked, if we see the circulation details of Aathmadeepam, Vishwasa samrakshakan or any other articles..

      Where we are wrong? I think we are wrong in our fundamentals of distribution. I don't think any well accepted weeklies or monthlies in open market are following the way of distribution through postal department anymore. I feel, we should shut that channel first and look into open market and see how things work. They work on simple way of distribution through "news stands" in petty shops or through "news paper boys". Here come the point, where we will put up our news stands? The best place to put up news stands are churches itself on a Sunday, after the mass by giving responsibility to youth association partners? If possible give that team a small commission on the number of copies they sell. It can also be in the form of voluntary assistance by youth. Personally, I prefer on commission basis as money is a big motivator which will in-turn boost the sales the other way. The more copy we sell the more readability, the more awareness among its members about current situations and more ads we can grab from market.

      We lament a lot on media saying they don't help us. Why we are depend on them when we could reach out to our mass in simple way on every second Sunday of a month through its articles. The value of money dipped so low, people wont care shelling Rs.20 or Rs.30 on articles twice a month, if those articles are readily available to them after the mass. Remember, the smartest organizations in world takes decisions very faster to grab opportunities. "If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."

      These are my personal thoughts, let the wise men decide after discussions, but do it fast. Hope aathmadeepam, vishwasasamrakshakan editors are also in this forum. I paid for aathmadeepam yearly subscription, but many times I wont get them, but for those who want "vanitha" bi-weekly, they get 2 days before the printed date. That is how news stands work.

      Thnaks
      Vineeth