Our Daily Bread- Two Way Communications

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2 9:21 AM
      READ: Psalm 119:17-24

      Your testimonies also are my delight and my counselors. —Psalm 119:24

      Have you ever been stuck in a conversation with someone who talks only about himself? To be polite, you strike up a dialogue by asking questions. The other person proceeds to talk endlessly about himself, and he never once asks you anything. It is all about that person and nothing about you.

      Imagine what it must be like for our heavenly Father to listen to our prayers during our devotional time. We may have read a portion of His Word, but then in prayer we swiftly shift focus exclusively to our needs. We ask for help in solving a problem, providing for a financial need, or healing a physical ailment. But the passage we've just read doesn't even enter into our prayers. What God has just said to us goes largely unacknowledged.

      Apparently the writer of Psalm 119 did not have this perspective. Instead, he sought God's help in understanding the Word: Open my eyes, he said, that I may see wondrous things from Your law� (v.18). And as he prayed he expressed how he treasured God's Word, calling it his delight� (v.24).

      Let's develop a discipline of praying our response to the Word. It just might transform our devotional time. Bible reading and prayer should reflect a two-way communication. �Dennis Fisher

      Lord, I've just read Your Word to me in Psalm 119.

      Give me a strong desire like the psalmist's to keep Your
      Word. Show me what I can do to make it my delight and
      counselor. Open my eyes and heart to learn from You.

      Listen to God’s Word then pray about what you’ve heard.