Sermon of the Week, 9/2/12

  • Rev. Fr. KurianThomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2012
      SERMON OF THE WEEK - JESUS & TEMPLE TAX
      September 2, 2012

      Next Sunday is the 3rd Sunday after Assumption. Gospel reading for
      Sunday is from St. Mathew 17:22-27.

      Subject: Jesus and Temple Tax

      ("Do the kings collect taxes from their sons or citizens?")

      Key Passage: "But that we may not offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a 'piece of money'; take that and give to them for you and me."
      (Mathew 17:27.

      Message: Jesus and his disciples were in Caphernaum, Peter's hometown. There the tax collectors came to Peter. They then asked Peter, "Doesn't your teacher pay the tax?".

      This was the tax collected for the upkeep of the Jerusalem temple. The money was used to support all the temple services. This question from the tax collectors was probably a test to see how supportive was Jesus to the Temple services. Peter answered, "Yes."

      When he and Jesus were in the house away from the tax collectors, Jesus asked Peter, "What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of earth collect taxes, from their sons or from strangers?"

      There are kings on earth who run their kingdoms with money raised from taxes. Their taxes are collected not from the king's children, but from the rest of the citizens.

      The analogy pictures God as the king and the temple services as the running of the kingdom. This makes a comparison between king's sons and strangers.  Taxes are collected only from citizens who are not part of the royal family. Jesus said to Peter, "That's right, then the sons are exempt from taxes." Jesus says to Peter, "So that we don't want to offend them, give it to them for you and me."

      Jesus is the Lord of the temple, therefore did not owe tax. Jesus took this opportunity to teach what ought to be practically the right thing to do to avoid embarrassments. Jesus said, "So that we do not offend them, go to the sea and throw a hook, and take the first fish that comes up. When you open its mouth, you will find a coin. Take that and give it to them for your sake and mine."

      In this example, Jesus shows us how to deal with a situation where we are conflicted with and don't know what to do. Regardless of what the right answer may be, do the thing that is necessary to avoid embarrassments. Sometimes the 'right' is less important than to maintain good relationships with others. It is not necessary to force right or proper manners on others when we know it will only damage our reputation or relationships in someone else's eyes.

      Prepared by: Rev. Dr. V KurianThomas,Valiyaparambil