Our Daily Bread- Serve well with Joy

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28 9:28 AM
      READ: Psalm 100

      Serve the Lord with gladness. Psalm 100:2

      Nine years ago today a good friend went out for a lunchtime jog and never came back. Kurt De Haan, who was the managing editor of Our Daily Bread, died of a heart attack on that sunny Thursday. Some of us who worked with Kurt still keep mementos of him in our offices.

      For instance, on one wall of my cubicle, I display the last memo I received from Kurt. It reminds me of his thoroughness as an editor striving to represent God's Word accurately and well. Another co-worker displays the last paper wad Kurt threw in her direction, reminding her of his eagerness to enjoy life.

      Each time we talk about Kurt and how much we miss him, we discuss his combination of a quest for excellence mixed with an enjoyable personality. He worked hard and loved life. He strove to teach God’s Word with integrity while living his life with joy.

      Remembering Kurt and his example is refreshing and challenging. It reminds us that others are watching us and can tell if we're serving the Lord with gladness� (Ps. 100:2), and if our love for Jesus is coming through in our good works (Eph. 2:10). Serve well. Serve with joy. Does that describe our work for the Savior? Dave Branon

      Help me, dear Jesus, to live out the joy
      and peace You've given to me. May those who work
      with and know me see that joy. And may I always
      stand for truth and righteousness.

      For joy that will last, always put Christ first.